cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Import after doing 4.6D Export

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Referring to the Heterogeneous System Copy of 4.6D note that I am using, I have successfully exported the system. I have moved the new export 'cd' to the new server and now am ready to run the import.

The server that I am importing to has an existing 4.6D system installed, that is a copy of the system I exported from.

My question is this.

In the guide, it gives me two options to run the import. Either :

<i>

Central Instance with Database

./R3SETUP -f CENTRAL.R3S

<b>

OR

</b>

Standalone Database (migration to filesystem)

./R3SETUP -f DBMIG.R3S

</i>

Now I don't want to lose any of the data or recreate a dB on the target server. Which option should I choose?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jackson

If you want to do heterogenous copy then the target system DB will be overwritten.

In your case as you have already an running system , that means that the kernelAppDB is alreay in place.

Also here is the confusion , as you mentioned that copy of exported system is already running ?

So you have to use corrent templat files to install /recreate the target DB

Ravinder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravinder,

Thanks for the reply...

I didn't mean that the target system is already an exported system. I meant that it is a fully installed system. I just wish to transfer the table and client data across.

I was under the impression that the exported data will not recreate anything, and that it will just ADD data to the target system. Is there no way to do that?

And if that is my only choice, Ravinder, then which of the two options must I select to preserve the MOST data on the new system?

Thanks.

Brad

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I just wish to transfer the table and client

> data across.

then use client copy or client transport - not a system copy!

> I was under the impression that the exported data

> will not recreate anything, and that it will just ADD

> data to the target system. Is there no way to do

> that?

it will...system copy will overwrite anything...or fail because tables are already in the target system...

> And if that is my only choice, Ravinder, then which

> of the two options must I select to preserve the MOST

> data on the new system?

you could use the option 'client copy' BUT: be aware that usually a client copy will initialize the target client meaning that all tables involved will be erased/truncated before importing...

i presume you'd like to make a "delta import" adding just tables/content that is missing in the target system? this would result in a manual job exporting the relevant contents and importing these inot the target system/client (r3trans is able to export/import single tables; tms & tp would be another way); don't be too sure about consistency then...

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Andreas,

Ok, perhaps I was a bit wrong with my initial statement.

We have an existing SAP system, and we are now aware that the export will erase all information on the target system.

Which option would you recommend out of the two that I stated, Andreas? Can you explain what the outcome of each of the two options will be?

Thanks for the well-phrased reply.