cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we improve the performance on the synchronization process ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Can anyone help us with some questions about Synchronization performance ??

Our systems information are:

MI25 SP19

MAM 25 SR5

Windows Mobile CE 4.2

DB2e 8.2.4

Creme27a_AX_CE42_PCC_minimal.BAC

MI25Tom.CAB SP19

1. Based on our infraestructure which are the best combination of application and version to install ?

2. Our average of Data Base size is 15 MB. We would like to know can we get much better performance working with I/O or working with Data Base?

3. What is the best option of operational system to use such as: Win 2003, Win 2005, CE 4.2 or CE 5.0.

In general we would like to know which is better to use Windows Mobile or Windows CE ??

4. We would like to know if we can get better performance on the synchronization process with newest version or if we are well ?

We would like to let you know that we use to have a time of Synchronization for around 6 minutes. But today we wait until 50 minutes and some times we do not get good result when the synchronization process finished Because we do not get any new information..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

answering your questions:

1. DB is faster than I/O. Plus security wise it is safer, in fact MAM3.0 only supports DB.

2. Windows Mobile (current released version is 6.0 already, but it is not supported by MI yet) is fundamentally different from previous CE verions. Microsoft went from one extreme to the other: with CE everything isin memory so when battery dies on the device you have to reinstall MAM, with WM5.0 everything is on "hard drive" so you don't have to reinstall anymore BUT all app data is on hard drive as well.

When Windows Mobile 5.0 was released MI has tremendous performance degradation. It was solved and you can find a few messages and notes that you have to apply to fix performance issues. I don't think that performance is much better with WM5.0 compared to WinCEs.

3.There is no difference in sync performance between MAM2.5 and MAM 3.0. Application is dependent on MI client for sync and data access. So what can really improve your sync performance is newest MI - 7.1, so callled Data Orchestration Engine. So if you want to invest money in upgrade and main reason for this is sync performance issues and not desire to use new MAM fucntionalities, I would recommend you to upgrade to a combination of:

MAM3.0 SR5 + Netweaver Mobile 7.1.

Bad news is that MI7.1 is supposed to be generally avaialble in Dec. 2007, but MAM which is compatible with it (MAM3.0 SR5) will not be on the market before Q1 2008.

If you can wait that long - that would give you the best probability to improve sync time.

Regards,

Larissa Limarova

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Larissa,

Thank you very much for you answers.

Could you please tell us what is the difference between Win Mobile 2003 SE and Win CE 4.2 ?

In addition could you please let us know if Win CE 4.2 is certified by SAP and where can we read about it?

Thank you very much

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Xiomara,

it is very confusing... I know.

The best description I ever found is published on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ce

Win Mobile 2003 SE is not a correct name, it is calleld Windows Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition and is a version of Windows CE4.2. I believe it is the lowest OS version which is supported by MI 2.5 and 7.0.

SAP does not certify any OS. What you should check is MI central note and find information on which OS systems are supported. That will be a starting point.

Then, usually, application have min. requirements spec for hardware as well. You can find it for MAM 3.0 in configuration guide.

Cheers,

Larissa