cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different BW clients in Dev, Qual and Prod systems?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BW experts,

we have different clients in BW for development, Quality and Prod. systems. Now we get problems with our transports from Development to Quality. Some objects go through without any error. Others result in errors because of client dependent number intervals. We know that it is not possible to have different clients in one BW systems, but thought of no problem having different clients on the different systems (D, Q and P).

Can you help? There is still the possibility to newly set up the quality and productive systems...do you think is it better or necessary to have the same client? Or can we maybe solve the problem through activating the objects manually in Q and P systems to get the new ID's created?

Thanks!!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sandra,

it'S spossible in the transport system or in STMS nito which client the transport should be imported. By default it uses the same client as development system.

But if you enter the client for your Q or P-system respectively your transports will be imported in the right client.

It's a input field at the top of the start import window.

Regards,

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Right! And we get the transports into the right system/client. But there is a different client concept in BW...it says to have only one client in BW...

Here is the link...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b7/8a9a3aaf894871e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

This is why I am asking if this concept of transporting from one development BW client to another BW quality client is a problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes,

BW system do have only one client and DEV/QS/PROD should not be on the same system because there are many client independent objects. It's different than in R/3, because BW is an OLAP and not an OLTP System.

Recommended is to have a two or three system landscape. In a two system landscape your Dev system is equivalent to your QS and the second is your productive system. In a three system landscape you have for DEV; QS and PROD an own system. And each system can have different client numbers. May be that's a bit confusing. So each BW has only one client, but DEV client number can be different from QS client number and PROD client number.

Hope it got a bit clearer

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, Thank you! I understand what you are saying...

We get errors by transporting an info cube saying that we have to activate a dimension manually in Q as a new number intervall needs to be generated as this is client dependent and this generation took place through activation. This sounds strange to me as other objects go through without this message. So we need additional authorization in Q and probably also in P to activate these objects manually!? Is this the way it goes?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I assume the problem arose when you changed a dimension to a line-item dimension, right?

Did you try to delete this dimension from cube in one transport and put your line-item to a new, free dimension (if you have)?

After transprot check if dimension table really has been deleted in SE11 or try to delete it manually.

Then you can retransprot it with your changes.

Regards,

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great! This is exactly the problem! I changed this dimension to a line item dimension... but how to deal with the new transport as the previous transport stopped with error? Which one is to transport /reimport first? Can I transport this new one and afterwards the whole cube again or...? Do you know what I mean?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ich probiers auf deutsch :-):

Kein Problem, dass der Transport vorher auf 8 lief. Ändere den Cube in der RSA1, lösche die Lineitem-Dimension, und schiebe dein Lineitem in eine Dimension mit meheren Infoobjects. Schreibe die Änderung auf einen neuen Transportauftrag. Du musst auch noch Fortschreibungsregeln und Multiprovider, die von deinem Cube abhängig sind, ebenfalls nachaktivieren und durchtransportieren. Transportiere den dann durch, sollte auf keinen Fehlerr laufen. Checke im Q und P, ob die Line-Item-Dimensionstabellen wirklich gelöscht wurden (über SE11 ,aslo die /BIC/D..... Tabellen). Falls nicht, lösche sie manuell (auch über SE11) oder lasse sie von der Basis löschen, falls dir die Berechtigungen fehlen. Dann erstelle einen neuen Transportauftrag, auf den du deinen "richtigen" Cube mit allen Lineitems schreibst. Den kannst du dann durchtransportieren und es sollten keine Fehler mit Line-items mehr auftauchen.

Falls es dann doch noch mit dem BID-Tabellen Probleme gibt, dann mach eine OSS-Meldung auf.

Ganz andere Lösung, falls es geht: Lege eine Kopie von deinem Cube an, lösche deinen alten komplett und arbeite mit dem neuen.

Hoffe, es hilft.

Grüße

Jürgen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vielen Dank! Probelm solved!