Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startsap j2ee not working if the ABAP engine is up

former_member198282
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, all

I shutdown the j2ee engine using the smicm. Did some change on the j2ee engine and now trying to start it up. I ran startsap j2ee and it keeps telling me the following:

System is already running. Process Id = 24895

(5184) Exiting with Return-Code 1. (Already running)

The only way I found is to restart it again in smicm. However, is there a way to shutdown and startup the j2ee individually if you are running dual stack?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member198282
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, all.

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried the options you mentioned. But everytime when I run startsap with the different options, it thinks SAP is up and aborts the startup! It is partially true since the ABAP engine is still running. Any idea? If you have a dual stack system, you can try it yourself.

Thx.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Please check the log files in the 'work' directory to find out if something is not allowing the J2EE start.

Looks like after the change you made.. the J2EE is left into 'Starting' mode and doesn't go beyond.

Check the following files:

dev_dispatcher

dev_server0

dev_server<x>

dev_jcontrol

dev_bootstrap

standard output files.. etc..

Regards,

Siddhesh

Message was edited by:

Siddhesh Ghag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

I also faced a similar kind of issue after a restore due to the upgrade failure.

Please check the permission of the directory sap under the /usr it should be 755 owner should be sidadm

Then change the permission of all the dir and files under /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS<nr> <number> to 777 and owner as sidadm.

Why because if it was not there then startsap command will not be able to start java inst as it will not be able to write log to the file .hotspot_compiler under directory /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS<nr>/j2ee/cluster.

Please try with this and then check whether your java is running in the sapmnt/SID/profile under sidadm by using the jcmon tool.

If not please try to start using the option 3 enable process.

Once u do all the changes restart sap.

Hope this information will help you.

Thanks,

Suresh Tatikonda.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can start J2ee as below

<b> WINDOWS</b>

Choose Start -Programs -SAP Management Console.

In the left-hand panel, right-click the SAP Systems node and choose Start

<b>UNIX</b>

startsap DVEBMGS00 Dualstack

startsap JC<00> Single stack

You can also start if from <b>Netweaver developer studio</b>

Choose Window - Preferences -SAP J2EE Engine

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the link below.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/70/b38937809c8f71e10000009b38f842/content.htm

You can start the database and SAP system separately by entering the following commands:

startsap DB <instanceID>

startsap R3 <instanceID of central services instance>

startsap R3 <instanceID of central instance>

Make sure that you always start the database first because otherwise the central services instance and the central instance cannot be started.

There is also the parameter J2EE that is a synonym for the parameter R3. For SAP Web AS ABAP+J2EE systems, you can enter either the command startsap R3 or startsap J2EE to start the SAP instance comprising both ABAP and J2EE.

-

So, In a dual Stack both abap and Java have the same instance DVEBMGS<NR>. As per my understanding you cannot start and stop java stack alone with the help of startsap.

But you can start and stop J2EE instance alone with the jcmon utility.

jcmon pf=<Instance Profile>.

Go to 20. And you will find options.

Award points if helpful.

Thanks,

Tanuj