cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Objects vs. SAP Strategy Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would like to post a message regarding the recent news on SAP and Business Objects.

Business Objects has more than 6000 CPM customers and in then meantime we find many statements like http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?id=530626 in the web

Since the announcement a couple of weeks have passed. My question is, if you have detailed analysis on how the Balanced Scorecard solution of both companies will differ respectively overlap. Are there any documents on that point available? And are there any consequences to be expected e.g. with respect to the price model?

Thanks for your help,

Alessandro

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member196034
Participant
0 Kudos

This is a very good question. I also asked the same question and received the same info in response.

It looks like purchasing Business Objects allows SAP to buy a large number of customers instead of having to sell to them gradually. The added advantage of removing a competitor and receiving their future revenues.

As for the product roadmap, I think this is critical for us to know as this is what customers are asking.

I understand SAP cannot divulge information until acquisition completes, but perhaps if we knew when that date is expected, that can give us some relief of anxiety.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Prakash and Babak,

maybe you are right that we have to wait until the acquisition of Business Objects is completed.

Nevertheless it would be important to get information on that topic asap. I hope that this forum can help in this regard.

Thank you,

Alessandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now that the acquisition is complete...is there any update on how the Business Objects EPM technology (acquired from Cartesis) will or will not affect the BPC roadmap (with technology acquired from Outlooksoft, Pilot, and Acorn)?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

[Here] you will find a roadmap. It`s on page 14.

Edited by: Bjoern Weidemann on Jun 30, 2008 3:21 PM

Bjoern, The link has been removed as this was from an internal presentation.

Edited on Jun 30, 2008 6:54 AM

Bob_McGlynn
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Good day,

Although this will not answer all of the questions you may have, I wanted to refer you to Nenshad's comment on another thread directing people to review Ryan Leask blog. While this lays out more the roadmap for financial rather than strategy, it will give you a good idea of the kind of planning taking place to move toward providing better applications while still protecting investments organizations have already made.

Bob

Dear fellow BPX and SDN community members,

I wanted to to turn your attention to a blog recently published by Ryan Leask, Director BPC Solution Management, on the topic of "SAP's definitive strategy for planning technologies moving forward: What's the word on BPC, BI-IP and SRC?" It is available here: /people/ryan.leask/blog/2008/06/24/saps-definitive-strategy-for-planning-technologies-moving-forward-whats-the-word-on-bpc-bi-ip-and-src . I know this is a really popular topic with a lot of confusion, so I would encourage all of you to read it to get the official word from SAP and Business Objects. We look forward to your feedback!

Best Regards,

Nenshad

0 Kudos

Hi Alessandro,

I fully agree with Prakash's reply - at the moment Nenshad's comments represent the 'only version of the truth' regarding the BOBJ acquisition.

However, there is still a possibility to add some useful information on this as you are referring to a 'Balanced Scorecard' solution in general. As there are currently two sides to this equasion: SAP and BOBJ, for the SAP part we can be more specific:

SAP Strategy Management (SSM) based on the technology acquired with Pilot Systems Co. in February 2007 is the tool of choice for scorecarding in the <u>current</u> CPM portfolio of SAP (SAP's current CPM portfolio is based on the acquisitions of Outlooksoft, Pilot and the reseller agreement with Acorn). This reduces the complexity a little bit as you no longer have to contemplate which of SAP's own scorecarding solutions is the leading one <u>at the moment</u>. SEM-CPM Balanced Scorecard is retired - being put in maintenance mode - and all customers encouraged to move to Strategy Management, facilitated by a planned migration utility.

Shall you want to learn more about SAP Strategy Management, feel free to refer to my blog series (e.g. <a href="/people/karol.bliznak/blog/2007/09/12/one-blog-is-not-enough--how-to-manage-performance-management).

Thanks / Regards,

Karol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Alessandro,

Please see Nenshad's forum post on this tpoic:

Cheers,

Prakash