cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection between Solution Manager Testing und Test Workbench

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have Problems understanding the connection between the test organization in the solution manager and the test workbench in the corresponding sap system.

The documentation says that the Solution Manager reuses the test workbench functionality. It is not clear for me how this connection works. In the solution manager you define test cases in the configuration of the project. When you create a test plan in the solution manager you can use the testcases of the project. But when you execute the testcases you do it in the corresponding sap system where the transaction of the test case is. Does this mean that the test cases und test plans that you create in the solution manager are transported to the target sap system? If this is true, when is the transport taking place?

Thanks a lot!

Regards, Lars.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

I think you are confused with solution manager and tools like QTP.

The difference between solution manager and QTP/ECATTT is the eCATT or QTP are used for creating the test scripts or the test cases but solution manager is used for storing all types scripts centrally.

It means say you have manual test scripts eCATT and Ext QTP scripts lying on the R/3 servers but from solution manager you can create a project comprises of all the scenario and linked test cases of various type.

Now at a later time when you start testing a manager login to solution manager enter the test plan project name etc and can check what is the current status of the test

1. how much testing is completed

2. Who is the tester what is the test script where or on which testing took place etc

you can check my weblog to knw how to manage and perform testing via solution manager.

/people/community.user/blog/2006/12/07/organize-and-perform-testing-using-solution-manager

Please reward points for the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

thanks for the answer.

1. Can you tell me where the differnce is between project, solution and application component hierarchy as template when creating a testplan in the solution manager.

2. I read in the documentation, that you can base a test plan on a test catalog. Where does this test catalog come from and how does it influence the test plan?

Thank you.

Regards, Lars.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Actually first of all you need to create a project and select all the scenarios relevant for it which can be SD MM or of various modules using solar_project_admin and solar01 tcodes.

Now in Solar02 tcode just append all the test cases next to your test cases so this will serve as test catalog for you.

Test catalog was used earlier prior to this you don't have to go for this because project creation and realization of all proces will serve your purpose.

Secondly the greatest advantage later is ,if you go this way you can create later a test plan for the whole project comprising of all scenarios and

Test packages relevant to each module.So can assign multiple tester for each test package.

This it is very easy to manage your overall testing using solman.

Cheers.

Please reward points for the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

thank you for your help.

Cheers, Lars

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have found some help to this question in the online documentation.

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/en/45/51fbdbd4941803e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/en/45/51fbdbd4941803e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm</a>

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Lars.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

(1) Here by test cases, do u mean automated test cases(like catt & ecatt)?

(a) if so, in which system do you have the automated test cases?

(2) Test plans & test cases are not transported to target SAP systems.

(3) While creating the Solution Manager project, you can specify where do you want to store the test cases(scope --> central objects tab), whether in the solution manager system or in the satellite SAP systems. Based on your selection you will be able to store or access your test cases to & from either solution manager system or satellite sap systems.

(4) When you include transactions in your test plan, the control is actually transferred to the SAP system, and the transaction is executed(tested) in the SAP system.

Hope it is clear.

Dont forget to reward points for useful answers.

best regds,

Alagammai.