cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP R/3 Version and Kernel Version

john_lancashire
Discoverer
0 Kudos

We have 2 SAP installations (both HP-UX 64-BIT RISC on Oracle 9.2.0.6).

1) SAP 4.6C runnning on 4.6D kernel

2) SAP 4.7 (Basis release 6.20) kernel 6.40.

Both systems are due kernel upgrades to more recent patch levels. Whilst casually discussing this with an SAP Consultant, he mentioned that it might simplify maintenance if I stuck to one version of the kernel across the board and ran my 4.6C system on the 6.40 kernel.

Until he mentioned it, I would never have dreamt of doing so. Is this a valid configuration?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm intresting configuration........

I wouldn't have thought 4.7 would run on the 6.40 kernel version, but your doing it !

Different kernel versions arn't a major issue as you can do a kernel ugrade in a couple of hours anyway.

Its straightforward.

Hell, if you do the prep work, you can stop the system, copy the files across, set the permissions and have things up and working within 15 minutes.

So i don't think you would get much benefit at from standardising the systems.

Regards

James

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi

@James

I hope you are kidding ( or a typo )

<i>I wouldn't have thought 4.7 would run on the 6.40 kernel version, but your doing it !</i>

Not only the mentioned 4.7 can run kernel 6.40, but that is the current supported combination.

Kernel 6.20 is not supported/developed any more

I mention this for the record, just in case someone use the "search" functionality and get confused with that statement (like me).

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

john_lancashire
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks guys,

I don't think we need to go any further. I had enough doubt before asking to question to be bothered testing this bizarre suggestion. Your responses have added sufficient weight to my argument to make sure we don't waste any more precious time on this.

John

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No - this won't work.

4.6c can only be run using 46D or 46D_EXT kernel, one can't install a higher kernel level.

--

Markus