cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 6 App server for iSeries DB/400 on linux?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We currently are running ECC 6 on an iSeries (i5OS) and considering on adding a application server. I have already deployed and test a Win application server. However doe to the constraints of Windows this will not work for us. Linux on the other hand would overcome the problems generated by the Win32 OS.

However I am not sure if this is a supported environment for SAP. I am looking for advice or pointers in the right direction on this. The only real constraint at this time is our Db host is an iSeries (AS/400) running i5OS and the database is DB2/400.

Thank you for any assistance.

Erick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Erick,

Please check service.sap.com/pam.

Likely you are on i5OS V5R3 or V5R4, you can use either SUSE or RedHat on POWER architecture.

I heard that one customer installed App server for i5OS on a LPARed Linux, and the performance was superior.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Victor.

You are correct we are running on V5R4 and I have read about implementing on POWER architecture.

Part of our problem is we are running out of recourses on our 870 and was hoping to put off the hardware upgrade for a little while longer. I know you get what you pay for and a new Power6 will benifit us in more ways then one. But in the mean time we looking at maybe x86 32/64bit? Do you know if this would be possible, I think the catch is support for DB2/400.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Erick,

Only Linux on Power, not Linux on x86, is supported as I know. And you mentioned that you have ruled out the Windows option.

Consider a new or used OpenPower? Just like you said "you get what you pay for" - likely for a new (expensive) one, you can use it after replacing 870; for an used (cheap) one, you can solve your current issue.

Another option is to fine tune the performance and hope the hardware can held till you get the budget.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Victor.