cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface through XI or P2P - How to decide?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are in the process of implementing XI for a client.

The client currently has about 600 point to point interfaces connecting more than 200 applications to SAP (and to each other).

We are in the process of routing these point-to-point interfaces through XI.

My concern is:

Is there a strategy or guideline to decide which of the existing interfaces should be moved through XI and which of these should continue as point-to-point?

I need inputs from the technical angle as well as the business perspective.

In case I need to pose this question in a business forum too...comments on this will be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Prasad Kamath

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ranga and Seshagiri,

Thank you very much for your inputs.

We do understand that ideally XI would be a good replacement to P2P.

However, migration to XI needs considerations such as the cost and timelines involved.

Besides, we have to consider availability of legacy system developers/functional consultants to do the configurations from their end.

Migrating all interfaces to XI will also require a phenomenal sizing of their servers (and cost) which is again a point we shall to consider; not to mention the BPM scenarios that may be involved which take up more resources.

The customer has some set SLAs which they intend to achieve with XI...for example an end-to-end JCO call takes less than 1 second in the current landscape.....whether we can achieve this from XI...

Besides, the customer is also implementing SAP BI, SAP EP, cProjects, SAP PSC, SAP SRM and SAP GRC simultaneously!!!

So we need to consider integration requirements for these systems too!

These are just a few points as per my limited understanding.

In traditional projects, we have always moved all interfaces to XI

But the customer is talking about scary terms such as GRC compliances here. Hence we need to know if there are standard guidelines which can enable us to take this decision.

Thanks and Regards,

Prasad Kamath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prasad Kamath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Prasad,

To address few of the queries,

Firstly with cost.

In this case as there are more number of legacy applicaiton and i would assume there is huge amount data being transfered btw legacy and sap the cost involved including licesnse will be on the higher side.

Time lines again depending upon the complexity varies.

If the organization has already implemented sap and want to consolidate upon it in a long term then XI is the best way out. P2P might be the current solution but the complexity of managing such interfaces in a lng term tends to get tedious and higher on the maintenance as you don't have certralized monitoring of such interfaces.

Most important is to have a understanding where sap currently sits in the organizaton in terms of strategy and commitment of the leadership in pushing the drive to leverage on it. At the end of the day now focus has moved from cost ot business benfits.

You cannot avoid BPM in this case.

The customer has some set SLAs which they intend to achieve with XI...for example an end-to-end JCO call takes less than 1 second in the current landscape.....whether we can achieve this from XI...

Abt GRC i suppose the following links will give a insight

www.cio-weblog.com/50226711/sap_goverernace_risk_mgmt_compliance_approach_understanding.php

www.sap.com/belux/solutions/grc/pdf/Solutions_for_GRC_OV.pdf

<b>Cheers,

*RAJ*</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Besides, the customer is also implementing SAP BI, SAP EP, cProjects, SAP PSC, SAP SRM and SAP GRC simultaneously!!!

With so many modules in implementation esp with EP and the number of legacy applications in picture XI is the better fit it will be to address address lots of issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh,

Thank you for your inputs.

The organization is looking at XI from a long term viewpoint. But even in the future they may not be able to route all interfaces through XI due to:

1. system limitations (we have to achieve system (overall) SLA even if that means keeping some interfaces out of the system forever)

2. security considerations (we are not sure whether principal propagation can be used with some systems in ase it is asked for)

we understand that some interfaces will permanently remain out of the system.

3. application limitations (some apps do not have the capability to interface at all)

Hence the intention is to analyse the interfaces against a checklist so that all points are considered before we say that an interface should be moved through XI.

Currently we are not looking at an answer for our queries. We are looking for the questions which we are supposed to find an answer for.

The questions that I have aksed above are some sample questions that I have listed based on my understanding. I need a comprehensive list of questions like this.

Thanks and Regards,

Prasad Kamath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's Better You Go with XI .

Remove all your Point-to-point Integrations.

those are all not Recommended when we have XI in Our Hand

Reward Points If Helpful

Regards

Giri

former_member189387
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi prasad,

It depends on Your requirement . JCO is fast compared to XI . But , if more end points increased it is very difficult to maintain in JCO's Point to point connections .

As , per your post

<i><b>The client currently has about 600 point to point interfaces connecting more than 200 applications to SAP (and to each other).</b></i>

I would like to suggest you to go for XI. Becasue it is an Centralized Integrated Platform. We have to see Long term So, Opt XI .

• Assign points if you found helpful

Regards.,

V.Rangarajan