cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing code between development teams

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm not quite sure how to approach this situation so I'm hoping the gurus here can help.

We have a central java support group which is responsible for common java code that can be used by many different development teams. That group is also responsible for creating "projects" containing 3rd party libraries and making them available to developers.

The reason we do this is to ensure that all developers are using same versions of code and aren't reinventing wheel.

In our old environment (VisualAge for Java) we'd create projects and tell them to include the jars for those projects in their deployment to server.

In this environment we want to use the DTR and JDI so we've decided to go with tracks. However, we're having trouble figuring out how to make code from one track available to another track.

For example, if we have a dev team working on app ABC and another working on XYZ we'd create a separate track for each dev team. That track would contain the code and resources that are maintained by them.

We would like both of them to use common code written by java support group and we'd like that code to be in a separate track that is only modifiable by java support group.

We would also like them to use libraries (for example Struts, Hibernate, etc)from another track that is also only modifiable by java support group.

How do we accomplish this?

We've been able to create separate tracks but can NOT figure out how to share code between them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Basically This is not the right forum for this question, there are plenty of threads available in Java Development Infrastructure Forum.

How ever i will answer your question,reading from your question, you have installed JDI, created track, you are now accessible to CBS,CMS and DTR. You want to use tracks to transfer code from one track to another.

Solution for this is logon to CMS http://server:port/devinf. using adminID and password. click on landsacpe configurator link, you will see domain data, track data, track connection here you specify the source track (where your source code is available) and destination track ( to the destination you want to transfer the code).

for more info how do step by step follow Scenario-3

chk this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/01/9c4940d1ba6913e10000000a1550b0/content.htm. (Scenarios)

hope this solved your problem.

Regards,

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramakrishna,

Thanks for your response. I wasn't sure where to post my question.

It appears that I've just confused everyone because the answers I'm getting (other than yours) are not really addressing my question.

So I'm going to "close" this one and post it in the JDI forum. Thanks again for pointing out the correct forum.

David.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

guru_subramanianb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Sharing your code results in following pointers which ahs to be looked upon.

1)check in & check out of files.

2)commit & Rollback issues.

3)Version Management of ur code.

SAP Netweaver comes with DTR(Design time Repository) to address this issue which has CBS & CMS features.This is similar to VSS or CVS and you can effectively use it for your code sharing.This entire setup is based on JDI.

You have various roles in DTR.SO an admin can generate users and can grant rights to the users.

Refer this link for DTR configurations.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/b0/a6de3f68d48f15e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

You can use the CVS for this. Download CVS from www.cvsnt.org. Install this on all the machines involved in the development. Then create a common repository in one of the development machines or a common server. Now all you have to do is to check out and check in the projects at regular intervals. The CVS stores alll the changes in local system. To make this available you need give a commit. That's it and you can make this available for any number of users.

Thanks

Kathirvel

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

Let me do my best with this one if I may. As an SAP customer you are allowed access to all of the SAP Java Source code to any of the applications you have purchases. Also, these source codes are based on the EAR version and Build Number that you have been delivered and/or have in production.

As for using an Appropriate IDE for your developers SAP NetWeaver Dev Studio has the ability to tie into several Source Control and CVS systems so you can use the track methodoology. Also with the fact that NetWeaver Studio is built on the Eclipse plugin model you may develop or use existing collaboration tools and plugins that are widely available on the web.

Hope this has helped.

Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of all the things you mention.

We have already decided to use the JDI and DTR so we're using tracks.

My question boils down to "how do I share code between tracks?"

David.