cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade oracle 8.0.4 on NT to 8.1.7 and then to 9.2 on win2k3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

my current system is on win NT with kernel 4.0B with oracle 8.0.4.

First i need to upgrade the database from 8.0.X to 8.1.7 on windows NT.

After the above i need to move the production server to windows 2003.

My production server is new hardware. The database size is 2TB.

For moving my production server from winNT to win2k3,

1. R dbexport and dbimport utilities are available.

2. If so, will they work for moving the system from winNT to win2003 and database 8.1.7 to 9.2

3. If so can i take a backup of dbexport on to a tape. Previously i have taken dbexport on HDD.

Please, give me a plan from moving my oracle 8.1.7 on win NT to oracle 9.2 on win2003.

thanx in advance.

venu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

- use SAPInst/R3load procedures to ex- and import the relevant database

- upgrade your db to 8.1.7 on WinNT and afterwards start the copy/migration

you can use r3load in order to export the system under oracle 8.1.7 und use this export as import under oracle 9.2; you will not have to make an upgrade for your oracle database on your taregt machine

<i>you could make a backup of your 8.1.7. database and use this to build your target database under 8.1.7.; upgrade oracle afterwards to 9.2 on your target machine; <b>BUT: oracle 8.1.7 is not supported to run under windows 2003 server...</b> so, this will not be an option!

</i>

-> which kernel do you use? 40B_COM? 40B_EXT? plz check sapnote 83858 for the right combination of kernel, operating system and database version...

GreetZ, AH

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Regarding Andreas comment:

<quote>

<i>you could make a backup of your 8.1.7. database and use this to build your target database under 8.1.7.; upgrade oracle afterwards to 9.2 on your target machine; BUT: oracle 8.1.7 is not supported to run under windows 2003 server... so, this will not be an option!</i>

<quote>

This is a valid option.

You are not running 8.1.7 on the W2003 server.

You install oracle 9i

Restore a backup -> offline backup, "clean" restore ( same location, same DB name ) no recovery needed.

Upgrade this restored backup to 9i with the softare installed.

Oracle 8i is not being executed ( it is not even installed on the system )

The same procedure has worked for "upgrades" from AIX 433 Oracle 8.1.7 64 bit to AIX 5 where Oracle 8.1.7 64 bit not only was not supported but it didn't work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel Vales,

Can you give specific steps or check list for the approach you have suggested for upgrading from 8.1.7 to 9.2 on windows 2003 at the earliest.

Thanx in advance,

gopal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Pl ref SAP Note 493143 - ORACLE upgrade to 9.2.0: Windows

Note 540021 - Add. information on migrating/updating to Oracle 9.2.0: UNIX

Regards

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I would repeat myself:

<quote>

<i>Restore a backup -> offline backup, "clean" restore ( same location, same DB name ) no recovery needed.

Upgrade this restored backup to 9i with the softare installed.

Oracle 8i is not being executed ( it is not even installed on the system )</i>

<quote>

what part you do not understand?

- You install Oracle 9 + latest patch set + latest minipatch on the 2003 server

- you perform an offline backup of your original database.

- you restore the backup on the 2003 server. The restore MUST include all files on the same paths as the original destination.

- Probably the backup does not have the oracle configuration files ( pfile, listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora ) you will have to copy them manually and probably edit them ( probably the server name has changed)

- Now you only have to follow the instructions on the upgrade guide.

As you are doing it to a new server, you can test it before doing it for "real"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel Vales,

As said i have restored all, from the source system(NT,oracle8i) data to target system (windows 2003, oracle software 9i).

when started the DB Upgrade Assistant it is asking to start the database to select available database to upgrade, where in which i cannot start the database of 8i on 9i software.

You said u have done on AIX, can u be more specific.

The below are the steps i have done:

1. Set up the target system 2003 with oracle 9i and the patch set.

2. restore the offline backup of oracle 8i data to the directories of target system.

3. configuring the files like pfile, listener, tnsnames ....

4. when started the dbua, the system could not recognise the system id, and prompts to start the database .

5. I have created an instance using oradim and afte that when i tried to upgrade using dbua, it is saying oracle not available throwing error ora-01034.

Please guide me where i went wrong.

thanks in advance

gopal

Message was edited by:

gopal

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

usually I expect people to do a little research and I do not give everything chewed.

Point 4:

go to the

<b>Oracle9i Database Migration Release 2 (9.2)</b>

go to the chapter 3

<b>Upgrading a Database to the New Oracle9i Release</b>

go to the point:

<b>Upgrade the Database Manually</b>

Exactly from here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96530/upgrade.htm#1009200

Keep in mind

1) that the <i>EXACT </i>procedure you are following it is not indicated in this manual

2) you have to think a little ( do you have all the windows services created on the destination system? if not, you have to create them ... )

3) this procedure is not supported by SAP. It is a valid option but not supported by them. You have to practice until you get all the points correctly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel,

I am done with the process.

Thanks a TON for your EXCELLENT solution.

Cheers,

gopal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

another possibility:

upgrade to Oracle 8.1.7

upgrade to Windows 2000

upgrade to Oracle 9.2.0.8

on new hardware:

install windows 2003

install Oracle 10g

copy database (through network or with backup/restore)

use DBUA tool from Oracle.

check upgrade documentation to run a few Oracle scripts to complete upgrade.