cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of mapping on XI-Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am writing on my diploma theses with the topic "Developing a concept for generating realistic workloads for message-oriented middleware landscapes in order to perform loadtests".

During my work I came to the following question for which I hope to find an answer here:

What impact does the mapping within a message have on the performance of the XI?

It seems to me quite obvious that it must be something like: the more mappings within a message the worse the performance, isn't it?

Do you have some quantitative information for me?

Can I group the messages somehow in low-mapping, medium-mapping, and high mapping, where all messages in one group do have a similar behavior?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to add on to these answers, Performance can always be increased by Adding the Application servers in the middle and thereby distributing the workload among the servers in SAP XI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No you cannot group the messages in low-mapping, medium-mapping, and high mapping, No such feature is available in XI Performance Monitoring..

Best Regards,

tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

thanks for your answers so far. They have been quite helpful (rating will follow).

But for the question regarding the grouping, my question was a bit ambiguous, I guess: I wasn't asking for the possibility to group messages in the monitoring tool.

My question was more targeting on the classification on messages regarding the generation of workload profiles.

Lets say, I do have 4 messages :

M1: 4 field (content-based) mappings

M2: 8 field (content-based) mappings

M3: 20 field (content-based) mappings

M4: 40 field (content-based) mappings

is it a valid assumption to group M1 and M2 in the same class "low", valid in terms of they do have the same performance behavior, which is different from the performance-behavior as class "medium" with the messages M3, and different performance behavior as class "high" where M4 belongs to.

In other words will there be a boarder in amount of mappings, where messages behave totally different than before?

Thanks and best Regards,

Sebastian

Message was edited by:

Sebastian Geissler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

<a href="http://help.sap.com/bp_bpmv130/Documentation/Operation/TuningGuide.pdf">SAP Exchange Infrastructure Tuning Guide</a>

Please refer to the section "3.4.2 XI Mappings" of the above document.It states ->

<i>XI basically provides two types of mappings:

- XSLT mappings (processed by the SAP XSLT processor)

- Java mappings (XI Mapping Toolkit or customer development)

Resource consumption for the mapping depends on the complexity of the mappings and the source document sizes. In general, XSLT mappings require more memory than mapping classes generated by the XI Mapping Toolkit.

Since mappings are processed by the J2EE Engine, the maximum available Java heap may be a limit-ing factor for the maximum document size the XI mapping service is able to process. Tests have shown that processing of XSLT mappings consumes up to 20 times the source document size (using identity mapping). The maximum available Java heap for 32bit JVMs is platform-dependent. Using 64bit JVM platforms is an option here.

Current maximum heap sizes – 32bit

OS Maximum heap (GB)

Linux 2

Windows 1.2 – 1.4

The Java heap is limited by the heap limit of the process (may be limited by address space because operating system code or libraries may also be loaded within the same address space). Also, Java internal memory areas such as the permanent space for loading Java classes must fit into the same address space.</i>

Best Regards,

Tarun