cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of message structure and layout on XI-Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am writing on my diploma theses with the topic "Developing a concept for generating realistic workloads for message-oriented middleware landscapes in order to perform loadtests".

During my work I came to the following question for which I hope to find an answer here:

What impact does the structure or the layout of a message have on the performance of the XI?

It seems to me quite obvious that it must be something like: the more hierarchy levels a message has the worse the performance, isn't it?

Do you have some quantitative information for me?

Can I group the messages somehow in low level, medium level, and high level, where all messages in one group do have a similar behavior?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>It seems to me quite obvious that it must be something like: the more hierarchy levels a message has the worse the performance, isn't it?

but why ?

it's not a direct impact of number of hierarchy levels but it's more related to:

a) number of XML tags (which must be created when non xml adapters - majority - need to read or create XML structures) - example would be -  very complex message but has a few fields and on other hand very simple but has thousands of tags... then complexity has nothing to do with performance

b) type of mapping which is used - some mappings (like xslt) will work much worse with mappings and big messages in general (as they take the whole message to memory)

so I wouldn't say it's related directly to complexity of the XML message but rather to other factors which can be a bit influenced by XML structure,

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk