cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraisal - Cancel Release - SAP Note 888650 ?

gctl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All

I understand that "released" MBO appraisal templates can still be "cancel release" for modifications even if the template has been used by appraisees / appraisers. This had occured in a previous system where changes to the template is necessary to resolve config issues.

Whilst attempting to "cancel release" on a MBO appraisal template named XYZ that has been used by appraisee / appraiser on a current system, I keep on getting the following "green colored" message "Element XYZ' is already being used in an appraisal document".

Do anyone has a clue if where in the appraisal config can be set such that appraisal template in use can still be "cancel release" for config modifications even if it has been used by appraisee / appraisers ?

Thanks.

Gregg

Message was edited by:

gregg.chen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

my 2 cents

1. You can not 'cancel release' if there is any appraisal document created.

2. To 'Cencel Release' you MUST delete ALL the appraisal documents for thet Template and then you can 'Cancel Release'

There is no other way. ( I have fought with SAP for three years to provide the functionality you are looking for). This sub-module is still evolving.

gctl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi William

Have you ever tried to use SAP Note 888650 ?

As mentioned previously, it is definitely possible to cancel release the appraisal template even if appraisals has been created. This activity had occured in a previous system (ERP 2004) worked on.

Just want to clarify with the larger community if there is any "missing" config point or possibly, need to implement SAP note 888650 .....

Thanks,

Gregg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gregg

The note 888650 is release independent. You do not need to apply that note. It has code for z-program (zrhhapunrelease). You can copy the code and create the program in your system through SE38. But you can run that program only with a variant and when you will create a variant, you can map that program with the Template, by entering the template ID ( VA element) in the variant.

When you execute the program it puts your Template into 'Cancel release' mode. So by using this program given in the note, you can 'Unrelease' the template and make minor changes.

Caution : NEVER make those config changes in the template that could affect the appraisal documents. A few textual changes are OK but SAP does not suggest majoe config change.

Let me know if that helps.

gctl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev

Thanks for your clarifications. Refer to your minder on scope of template changes for an appraisal template in use (but fix is required), would the following constitute to be major / risky changes in your view ?

1) Add / Remove Criterion Groups / Criterions objects in template

2) Add / Remove rating scales

3) Fix checkboxes / workflow setting in template.

Thanks,

Gregg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gregg

1. Adding a new VB/VC elements should not pose any problem, but deleting them will definitely make things go haywire. If you delete these elements, when appraisal documents have been created, the Template will give error when you release it back.

2. Ratings are configured in R/3 and not in Template. SO if you are changing the ratings ( like Good, Bad, Best etc. ) it would not have any problem. But Rating Scales change would definitely pose problem. If somebody has been rated earlier using rating scale Q00001 and now you are assigning the same column with scale Q00002, the underlying function module would not be able to retrieve data from old rating scale.

3. By checkboxes I think you are talking about selecting Columns. I think it would create problem if you change them. Workflow settings, I do not think should create an issue.

The bottom line is, if a large number of data is there for existing Template, I would not suggest making change in Template after 'Cancel Release' that would most likely give you hard time.

You can convince your client/employer to wait for one year, so that these changes can be accomodated when you create another Template for next year.

Hope it helps.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gregg,

Check this table 'HRHAP_BASIC'. Here you need to give the appraisal element to the field Element Id.

If the element type = Template -> O type = VA

element type = Criteria Group -> O type = VB

element type = Criteria -> O type = VC

Give the otype to Element Type Id and check whether any appraisal document is available. If yes then this is the reason for the error message.

Chk that the table 'HRHAP_BASIC' contents cannot be seen in SE11 or SE16. So goto SQ01 and create Quick Viewer query to the DB table.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Subbu.

gctl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subbu

I know that appraisal document is available because I had created one for an employee after releasing the template.

The crux of the issue is even if i have used the template to create appraisals,

the system should allow me to "Cancel Release" to make valid config change if necessary.

I could do it in a previous system, and am just puzzled why is it that i keep on getting the message "Element XYZ' is already being used in an appraisal document" that stop me from "Cancel Release"

Could I have overlooked a specific config on the appraisal template level ?

Thanks.

Gregg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gregg,

If the Appraisal Template is used by any of the Appraisal Document, then the system does not allow any changes to the template. This is done intentionally by SAP, since the documents using the template cannot be compared against each other in calibration.

But, there is one option, the appraisal templates which you feel are no more necessary can be archived and new templaet can be created by a copy paste of the existing template. Now the template can be fine tuned as per the client's requirement.

Generally all the client requirements are frozen before the template is released.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Subbu.

gctl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subbu

That is strange ...

In my previous project we have made multiple changes to two appraisal templates that is already in use. And we can "Cancel Release" of the two appraisal templates and make config changes.

The config changes included taking away "display appraisal" workflow when appraisee hits the "Complete" button to close appraisal document and certain fix to hide / unhide columns.

I want to reiteriate that in the process, no new criteria groups or criteria is added to the two appraisal templates.

This explains why I am of the opinion that there must be either a config setting / custom BADI that allows "Cancel Release" to appraisal templates in current use.

Thanks

Gregg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gregg,

I am very surprised how you were able to make the changes to the appraisal template when it is being used by an appraisal document.

<b>My observations on why the template cannot be released.</b>

Check the FM 'HRHAP_C_BC_ELEMENT_SET_STATUS'. When you right click and say cancel release, this FM is trigered. In this FM, goto line 216, you will find another function call here 'HRHAP_CHECK_ELEMENT_USAGE''.

Here you will see the error message populated to LS_RETURN table and that is actually thrown as success message.

I dont think so by any Badi also you can overcoem this coding done by SAP.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Subbu.

gctl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subbu

Thanks for the information on archiving appraisal templates. Your information is useful.

I still think that there must be a config setting that will allow "Cancel Release" of appraisal templates in use. Just can't recall where can this config be found ...

Thanks

Gregg

gctl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subbu

I came across SAP Note 888650 - Cancel Release of an Appraisal Template in use.

I suspect this not may have been implemented in a previous project environment. And this is why I could release appraisal templates in use.

Have u ever come across this SAP Note and use it ?

Thanks,

Gregg

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not familiar with this note. I am only using appraisals in the context of supporting Learning Solution. But I changed config to allow direct maintenance of object types VA, VB, and VC via PP01. Needs to be done carefully, but I would use this, for example, to fix a misspelling or a very minor word change.

Not sure if I remember how to do it, but at a minimum, it involves going to the Maintain Infotypes node in the IMG and then making the change in the Infotypes per object type screen (unchecking the No Maintenance field for those particular infotypes you wish to be able to maintain, like IT1000).

Please award points if helpful.