cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Offset in BEx Reporting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's,

Please explain me what is mean by Variable Offset and How to create it in the BEx Reporting (BI/BW)?

Try to give me real time scenario.

Please explain in detail.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

<i>Below is an ex where I have used offset</i> -

<u>Report for June 2007</u>

<b>

Month----

Year to date</b>

2007|2006|INC ( Diff ) |%________________2007|2006|INC ( Diff ) |%

$50|$40|$10______|25(10/40)_________$1000|$800|$200____|25

<b>

Structure</b>

Selection 1 - User Entered Month

Fiscal Year Restricted to Single Valued User Entry Mandatory

Posting Period Restricted to Single Valued User Entry Mandatory

Selection 2 - Previous Month

Fiscal Year Restricted to Single Valued User Entry Mandatory with<b> Offset "-1"</b>Posting Period Restricted to Single Valued User Entry Mandatory

<b>

<u>In d selection when u restrict on to the Single Valued User Entty Vari - On right hand side - right click on the Variable - Give an Offset Value</b> - Give <b>-1</b></u>

Selection 3 - YTD for User Entered Period

Fiscal Year Restricted to Single Valued User Entry Mandatory

Posting Period Restricted to Range -> ( 1 - Single Valued User Entry Mandatory )

Selection 4 - YTD for Previous Year

Fiscal Year Restricted to Single Valued User Entry Mandatory with<b> offset " -1 "</b>

Posting Period Restricted to Range -> ( 1 - Single Valued User Entry Mandatory )

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

variable offset:Variable offsets are used when you need to calculate more than one value as the characteristic restriction, based on a value entered by the user

how to craete it: 1. Select the required variable in the right-hand window.

2. Choose variable offsets from the context menu (secondary mouse click). This brings you to the dialog window Entering Variable Offsets.

3. Enter the required offset.

4. Choose OK.

You want to select the period of the last 5 years for evaluating your data.

- In the top left corner of the selection field, choose value range and between as operator.

- Select the variable current calendar year from the Variables tab page and drag it into the Selection box on the right (or use the arrow icon pointing to the right).

- Choose variable offsets from the context menu (secondary mouse click). The Variables – Offsets popup appears for both the upper and lower interval limits.

- For the lower limit, enter the offset 5.

- Do not enter an offset for the upper limit.

- Choose OK.

example:you have a report like this

sales year 5yearslater

100 2005 2010

here,you are restricting a KF (sales)to a particular year which you have defined as a variable.and the second column automatically should take in the previous value of whatever the user enters.then in the second column you would offset the variable by an year (+5)

cheers,

Swapna.G

Message was edited by:

swapna gollakota

Message was edited by:

swapna gollakota

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all,

All of you made the big efforts for solving my problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Swapna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am not able to create the variable offset in the BI7.0 system. Can u send the steps for BI7.0 as well.

I will be very thankful to you.

Regards,

Harshal

former_member188975
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Let's assume that user wanted to see a comparison of sales for two months (Current month for the current year and Last year this month), example: they want to compare Oct. 2007 sales against Oct. 2006 sales.

Now you need to create variable for the current month and current year (CALMONTH), when you display the sales and current month, it will put the current month, and you can substract twelve (which is an offset of 12 ) it will give you last year current month. The the users will be able to compare two periods.

thanks.

Wond