cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAR CODE VS RFID

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

can anybody explain me if bar code and rfid are used in conjunction with each other in any warehouse? If it is so how do they work that way.I think that either barcodes or rfid system can be used in any warehouse. kindly clarify my doubt.

regards

kxd

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks a lot that did not answer my question. My question was whether barcodes are used in conjunction with the rf devices.kindly respond is u know the answer.

regards

kxd

elalan
Participant
0 Kudos

i think to this matter is that use one or the other , because both are pretty much the same . Both gave data about the item you are reading or scanning so it can be process any way you want .

Barcode much more mature and it almost never fail ,because you have to be near the item to read it , in RFID besides it's creation was a long time ago it's implementation was a few years , but it doesn't mean it won't work , but to my experience is cool and easy to use , but it isn't 100 % sure that what you read is the complete or all the items are there , so to a warehouse if it is big i will not trust it .

Is my opinion and my experience , i think RFID is the future and i work with that but still have some issues to resolve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) is a technology that allows things to be identified via radio waves. An RFID reader sends an interrogating question (e.g. “who are you?”) to an RFID tag. The tag can then respond with an answer to the reader (e.g. I am product XYZ from company ABC). In this manner, similar to other sensing technologies, e.g. <b>bar codes</b>, RFID allows objects to be identified

Go thru this links about RFID which is posted by Arif in the first thread you will find the difference

An Introduction to RFID - /people/steve.winkler/blog/2006/05/03/an-introduction-to-rfid

RFID Scenario Installation-Configuration - /people/shang-ling.jui2/blog/2005/08/28/rfid-scenario-installation-configuration

Concept of RFID & Usage with Mobile Infrastructure - /people/rajendra.yadav2/blog/2005/07/19/concept-of-rfid-usage-with-mobile-infrastructure

RFID Scenario Installation-Preparation - /people/shang-ling.jui2/blog/2005/08/09/rfid-scenario-installation-preparation

RFID Scenario Installation-Installation - /people/shang-ling.jui2/blog/2005/08/17/rfid-scenario-installation-installation

Thanks

suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A barcode scanner captures the data from the barcode and transmits it into a computer system, which then can translate the information, and in most cases store it into a database. They are available in various types depending on the type of application like hand held, on-counter, 2D imager, fixed mount, cordless and memory scanners. Common features of bar code scanners include audible or visual “good reading” indicators, omni-directional reading ability, numeric or alphanumeric keypad included, and memory for data and program storage.

Designed to maximize productivity even in less than optimum conditions, barcode scanners find use in a variety of areas from point of sale to inventory management.When you're able to keep the checkout line moving faster, track medications and control inventory more accurately, even in the harshest environments, revenue automatically increases.

Before choosing a scanner, consider several factors such as the frequency of the scans, the distance from which scanning will be performed, how it will be connected, and whether or not the scanning process needs to be conducted on a real time basis. We have a range of options available for you to choose from depending upon your business process and needs.

RFID

Radio frequency identification (RFID) is a simple concept with enormous implications. Basic components of a RFID System are transponder or tag (information carrier), interrogator (reader and an antenna) and a host (computer).Attach a transponder – a microchip with an antenna – on a can of Coke, a pair of jeans, or a car axle, and your host computer can “see” or “detect” it. No more labor intensive inventory counts.No more lost or misdirected shipments. No more guessing how much material is in the supply chain or how much product is on the store shelves through the use of RFID technology and applied software.

Thanks

suresh