Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a risk to change field MTEXT of table T000?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I asked our SAP admins to change the field MTEXT of table T000 (client name/description), because there was no reasonable name in there. I my opinion this field is completely free text and one should be able to change this text at any time and in any system, regardless of productive or not. Our system administrators are afraid to change this text, because they fear that there could be inconsistencies and unpredictable errors because the name also occurs in other SAP-systems.

My question is: Is this fear realistic? Did anyone ever heard of a risk when changing the client name/description? (ONLY the text, NOT the key!!!)

Regards from Duesseldorf, Germany

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just goto SCC4 Transaction and here you can change text.

It is table maintaince.

Thanks

Seshu

6 REPLIES 6

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think any risk involved to change the description on client.

But if you delete or change the client number then you may face a risk across your systems i.e RFC connection issue.

Please ensure you keep the description of clients consistent accross your systems.

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

JozsefSzikszai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Rick,

I think there is not much risk, if you change it in the proper SAP transaction (SCC4 or whatever). if it is possible to chnage it there, I think it is OK, otherwise not.

ec

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just goto SCC4 Transaction and here you can change text.

It is table maintaince.

Thanks

Seshu

0 Kudos

Hi Seshu, yes I know HOW to do this, but it is a risk in a SAP landscape of 200 systems and 600 clients or not?

Regards, Rick

0 Kudos

I just spoke with my Basis guy , he said that it is harmless when you change

Text in SCC4 ..

Note : do not delete anything here ,and you can modify the text.

Good Luck

Thanks

Seshu

former_member194669
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can change the text.. But before changing the text please make sure a whereused list of T000-MTEXT and also make sure client name not hardcoded in any programs.