Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Hello Friends,

I have some doubts regarding ALV's

1. What is the main difference between ALV Grid Display and ALV List Display.

2. In program im using two tables and using inner join im populating the data in to internal table. Here im using Fieldcatalog and Layout and finally when displaying the internal table using REUSE_ALV_LIST_DISPLAY (without filling the I_STRUCTURE_NAME) then im getting the error message as 'Field Catalog is mising". And when im giving the structure name ( That too only DDIC Table or Structure only not the internal table name) then its displaying the output. If im giving the internal table name as the structure name then it is displaying the blank page. Please tell me how to resolve the error.Also is it compulsary to give the strcuture name?

3. After the display of the ALV using the user-command im displaying the details when a double click is made on the row using the write statement. Here im unable to handle the 'BACK' button. When I click 'BACK' button on the toolbar I must get back to the previous ALV displayed page.

4. How can we display the "totals" immediately when the ALV output is displayed. I tried many ways but when im clicking on the 'Summation' symbol in the output of the ALV then only the 'totals' or 'Subtotals' are being displayed.

Please help me in resolving the errors. (Reward points are given).

Pradeep Goli

1. For all practical purposes, they are the same.

2. Some differences:

a) from abap coding point of view,

alv list is done with Function modules,

alv gris can also be done with FM,

but can also be done using OO concepts.

b) Alv grid (using oo concept) requires

designing the screen layout .

Hence, in one screen, we can show more

then one alv grid

(we cannot show more than

one alv list on one screen)

c) ALV grid uses ActiveX controls

present on the Presentation Server.

Hence, it consumes More Memory

on the presentation server.

d) ALV LIST is Display Only.

ALV Grid Can Be made EDITABLE for entry purpose.

e) In alv grid, these options are possible,

but not in alv list.

without horizontal lines

without vertical lines

without cell merging during sorts

display total lines above the entries

If you have a structure existing in SE11(data dictionary) and you want to show the fields in your output using the same structure then you can use the I_STRUCTURE_NAME.

if you have an internal table (globally declared one) declared using occurs 0 and specified the fields using LIKE then you can use the Internal table,for this you should pass the i_inclname (check it once) as sy-repid along with internal table name.

if you want to show the fields both from structure and internal table then you can use both of them.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question