Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role Menu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in the process of planning user authorization. We have defined responsibilities for our users. May I know the approach to map the role to our user responsibilities?

1) Do you use sap standard roles and let business owners choose the role to assign to user?

2) Or Do you present all the transactions available and let business owners pick and group the related transactions to create new role?

3) Any tools/template to use?

Appreciate any guidelines.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did it the way 2.) and would appreciate if someone could give me hints for a better solution

1.) Find out which branch of the SAP standard menu is needed for the special application

2.) Bring the Menu with all nodes and transactions to an excel-sheet-format: Transaction SE43 Area Menu S000 display and open the desired branch , Print ( Area menu -> print ) : Now the technical names are displayed and a sub menu node can be seen. Start again with se43 and enter sub menu node, e.g. ME00. Open the desired branches, print, save to pc file , spreadsheet.

3.) Maintain the excel-sheet by making the column very small and adding lines at the top for colum titles for the new columns, e.g. Administrator, Controller, Slave.

4.) Ask the business owners to dicide which transcactions or nodes are allowed for which user group.

5.) Create roles according to the decicions in he excel sheet. For the special values the business owners has got to support you.

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did it the way 2.) and would appreciate if someone could give me hints for a better solution

1.) Find out which branch of the SAP standard menu is needed for the special application

2.) Bring the Menu with all nodes and transactions to an excel-sheet-format: Transaction SE43 Area Menu S000 display and open the desired branch , Print ( Area menu -> print ) : Now the technical names are displayed and a sub menu node can be seen. Start again with se43 and enter sub menu node, e.g. ME00. Open the desired branches, print, save to pc file , spreadsheet.

3.) Maintain the excel-sheet by making the column very small and adding lines at the top for colum titles for the new columns, e.g. Administrator, Controller, Slave.

4.) Ask the business owners to dicide which transcactions or nodes are allowed for which user group.

5.) Create roles according to the decicions in he excel sheet. For the special values the business owners has got to support you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In SAP we have concept of position. For each position we have some specific task. These task are in turn performed via SAP transaction.

From security point of view, we create role which corresspond to a particular position. Means role consists of authorization to run certain transactions (to perform task which are meant for the position).

For example, in HR

Supervisor position --> Associate who got this position will approve timsheet of other associate.

For approving there will be some transaction. The authorization for these transactions will be provided via ROLE.

Hope it helps! Points are welcome !!!