cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Com API Issue after upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

We upgraded to SP 5 build 5.5.42.48 from SP 3 build 5.5.28.88. After getting through a couple issues with how fields were referenced, I am now having a problem referencing certain field characteristics. Here is my sample code:

Dim ata As XCATCOMLib.Field = oRlset.Fields.Item(ProdFldName_aweight)
     If Not IsDBNull(oRlset.Fields.Item(ProdFldName_aweight).Value) Then
            Dim jval As XCATCOMLib.CharacteristicValue = 
            oRlset.Fields.Item(ProdFldName_aweight).Value
            Dim aweight As String = ""
            aweight = jval.GetString(ata.DimensionID, ata.DecimalPlaces)
      End If

The field I am dealing with is of type = xcMeasurementFieldType

The issue is that some characteristics on the field, like "Attributes", "CurrencySymbol","DecimalPlaces","FalseString","ShowFractions" and "TrueString" give an error saying "<error: an exception of type: {System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException} occurred>". While other characteristics like "Description", "FixedTextWidth", "IsCached", etc. return just fine.

This code worked in the previous version. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is there a guide to what differences can be expected between the versions. I am having trouble finding any documentation for COM API but have no problem finding docs for Java API.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting what was confirmed by SAP. Did they happen to say if this was going to be fixed in a future release? I am not sure how they could release a version with such a bug. How about posting known issues with versions? Could have saved me a couple wasted days.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The workaround is to retrieve the field definition from ICatalog.Tables.Item.Fields.Item. For example:

Dim ata As XCATCOMLib.Field = oRlset.Fields.Item(ProdFldName_aweight)
     XCATCOMLib.Table table = catalog.Tables.Item(rsd.Table);
     XCATCOMLib.Field altField = table.Fields.FindByID(ata.ID);

If Not IsDBNull(oRlset.Fields.Item(ProdFldName_aweight).Value) Then
            Dim jval As XCATCOMLib.CharacteristicValue = 
            oRlset.Fields.Item(ProdFldName_aweight).Value
            Dim aweight As String = ""
            aweight = jval.GetString(altField.DimensionID, altField.DecimalPlaces)
      End If

Former Member
0 Kudos

You seem to be the only person on here doing COM API stuff.... So I thought I would share...

I just confirmed with SAP that there is a bug when trying to retrieve measurement fields in a Qualified Lookup table. It will error out if you try field.DecimalPlaces.

foreach (XCATCOMLib.QualifiedLink link in links)
{
foreach (XCATCOMLib.Field field in link.Qualifiers)
{
if (field.Value == System.DBNull.Value)
continue;

if (field.Type == XCATCOMLib.FieldTypeEnum.
xcMeasurementFieldType)
{
XCATCOMLib.CharacteristicValue cv = (XCATCOMLib.
CharacteristicValue) field.Value;
String str = cv.GetString(field.DimensionID,
field.DecimalPlaces, field.ShowFractions,
field.DefaultUnitID);
PrintUtil.Print(str);
}
}
}

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been using the COM API for 2 yrs now. That SP3 COM API manual is the latest one. You're not going to find a lot of info on the COM API.

I only write code in C#, but, don't you have to cast the field value to a CharacteristicValue?

XCATCOMLib.CharacteristicValue cv = (XCATCOMLib.CharacteristicValue) field.Value;

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

>>> I am having trouble finding any documentation for COM API but have no problem finding docs for Java API.

this seems to be the only COM reference available:

https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700007403212005E

but it's from 11/18/2005

Regards,

michal