cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network fails, localhost OK

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Running SPS13 with EP usage type, etc... install on SUSE Linux/DB2 (32bit). I can connect to the WAS/Portal from Firefox fine on the console of the box, but there are problems when I try to connect from a client on the network. I have opened the appropriate ports in the SUSE firewall. The symptoms are that the login page shows up fine, then after logging in (as j2ee_admin), the content admin page loads, but none of the iviews on the page load, the browser just continues to try to open the iviews, but they never show up.

I've seen nothing in the server logs that has helped me, and HTTPWatch gives some generic error message: ERROR_HTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd try first (before anything else) to <b>disable </b>the firewall and see if it works then. This will make sure, if it's network related or if you have a problem with the portal itself.

--

Markus

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

firewall disabled, same results.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And the box from where you are calling has maybe some firewall too?

Do you see activity of "jlaunch" using the command "top d1c" on the Linux box when you try to connect?

Which Java-Version are you using?

--

Markus

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Java 1.4.2.11.

While its hung, and browser is waiting for reponse, I am not seeing JLaunch processes. Laptop does not have firewall, and I've tried from other machines, OS's and browsers with the same result. Its almost as if there is some HTTP connection throttling or something...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Well, the problem is fixed... It looks like the usage type was not completely installed. I'm still not sure why the systems showed those symptoms, but I opened SDM and rescanned the SPS files and found a few that were showing as not yet deployed. After manually deploying (with no errors) and restarting the J2EE, the system is behaving properly. I'm marking the question as answered and awarding points for all that contributed on the thread. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

do you have java runtime environment?

Thanks,

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You mean on the client workstation?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One doesn´t need a Java runtime on the browser to use the portal.

What you can try is

- login as )

- here you can use "1" to refresh and see if all processes are coming up

--

Markus

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think all processes are coming up ok, I can run the portal with no problems from a browser running on the console. So is it safe to assume the java processes are running? Are different processes used when servicing an http request from the network vs. local? Both browsers are connecting to the same port.

My next test is to run this on an isolated network(unplug from the LAN) and see if it behaves differently.

(Just ran this test, unplugged my hub from the LAN, same result, so it does not look like a network/filtering/router issue.)

Message was edited by:

Jon H Goldberg

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you use an IP or a name to contact to the portal?

--

Markus

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Same problem both ways.... Portal server is not in DNS, using hosts file. I've tried FQDN, as well as just host name and IP address... I can connect and go through the initial login page with all those methods, all of them hang after rendering the TLN, and while trying to render the individual iviews on the page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please try from other browser or update your browser. Also, I would suggest, stop EP and start it again. and clean ur cookies...

Thanks,