cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode and No-unicode system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Can i install a instace java unicode in a central instace abap no-unicode ?.

Is compatible ?

Thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want to install JAVA as ADD IN installation than abap instance must be a unicode system.

further more look at service.sap.com/unicode

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

So if we have an abap no-unicode we can not install JAVA as ADD IN installation .

Thanks a lot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if ABAP is non unicode instance than you can not install JAVA as ADD IN installation,

but you can install Java System as a separate instance and you can integrate it with your ABAP System.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushal,

"if ABAP is non unicode instance than you can not install JAVA as ADD IN installation"

<b>This is INCORRECT!</b> It is possible and supported to have ABAP non-Unicode and Java Unicode (Java is Unicode only) in the same DB. There are Notes that describe the process for each DB. <i>A Unicode conversion is not necessary to perform a Java Add-In installation.</i> Although it is highly recommended to perform a Unicode conversion (for data issues, not technical issues).

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

my question is as of NW04 system java and abap kernel is reside at same location, so what is a impact on that while we install JAVA ADD IN (unicode) with

ABAP (non - unicode)?

SAP recomanded to perform JAVA ADD IN on ABAP Unicode only,

so if we are not performing Unicode conversion on non unicode system it is better to install JAVA as separate instance, am I right?

thanks & regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushal,

Kernel's are just executables, so their location makes no difference.

It is recommended to convert systems to Unicode, but not for the reasons you are saying here. When there is data communication between Unicode (sending) and non-Unicode (receiving) systems, there is always a possibility for data loss. A system can only store data using the code page that is implemented...so a non-Unicode system can receive data that it can not store (it is put in as "#" in the database). Whether Java is installed as an add-in or separate instance makes no difference whatsoever.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thank you vary much for information.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

If you go for seperate JAVA instance with different SID, filesystem structure then there is no problem, but when you install java addin with same SID then there is a problem because

Unicode Java addin uses NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 and

non-unicode abap system require NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8DEC, due to this mismatch system wont run properly.

In this case Seperate JAVA instance installation with new SID is preferable.

Regards,

Mukund Nikam

Answers (0)