Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Generation

Former Member
0 Kudos

After maintaining authorization fields, we save and generate the profile. But it prompts for the profile name right when we click on 'Save' icon. So what exactly is the difference between 'Save' and 'Generate' icons?

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

From memory, save will save the data in the profile. Generating it will activate the profile and make the new auths available.

You can always check in SU02 to see the status of the profile created for the role.

sivakumar_kilari3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sumeith,

Without Generate the profile , we cannot assign the particular Role to user.

Giva me points for this answer

Siva

0 Kudos

You are asking for points for an answer that is incorrect?

You can assign the profile to the user, however it won't work

0 Kudos

i am taking about save and generate difference. ok

when you are saving a role without generate the profile. that type of role you cannot assign that role user. that is difference. Right

Siva

0 Kudos

> i am taking about save and generate difference. ok

>

> when you are saving a role without generate the

> profile. that type of role you cannot assign that

> role user. that is difference. Right

Wrong. Try it and see. You can assign roles without generated profiles to users. There are a few solutions where only role titles are used without profiles.

You can assign a role with a saved profile to a user, any auths in that profile won't work unless generated.

0 Kudos

Hi,

The things you do with the profile generator are resulting in a description way in the agr_* tables and the technical way the profiles (UST* ) tables. I you have made a role and generate the profile, than the description is the same as the values in the profile. If you changes the role and only save this, then nothing is done with the profile so you will have a mismatch. So saving in the status of the agr_* tables and generate is activate the profile like the description in the UST* tables that eventually will be at the user id (buffer).

Have fun

Jan van Roest

0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Info is also stored in the USR* tables, it's just much harder for us to read than the UST* tables

Cheers

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

In layman's term, I would rather explain you by taking the example of a java program.

When you write a java code and save it, it doesn't start working until you compile it and generate the .class files.

Now, you may again need to modify the same code. After that you again need to compile the program to regenerate the class files.

Similar concept is used for roles. Just creating and saving a role solves little or no purpose. You need to generate them for using them. After generating the roles, profiles are created which contain authorizations.

Hope it helps!

Award points if it helped.

Thanks!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumeith,

The difference between the save and generate is that after you have made the changes and you select saves it saves the changes but does not assign the tcodes that is assigned when you generate.

rgds,

-sohail