cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UD Connect Vs DB Connect

Former Member
0 Kudos

BI Experts,

I am right now working on a proof of concept - DB vs UD. My test case is to connect to a third party Oracle DB (Relational DB). I have very small data set.

So with my testing both UD as well as DB gave me similar performances.

So experts..........has anyone encountered problems with either one of them. I am just trying to draft a tradeoff between both when it come to performance with large data sets.

Thanks

Yashu Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yashuraj,

DB connect

1.)we use for SAP certified databases this means that the databases that SAP supports.

2.) It supports deltas

3.) It is used for relational databases.

4.) less problems are encountered as compared to UD connect.DBconnect utilizes SAP's basis technology to estabish an interface to a non-SAP database.

5.)It relies onthe dbsl's (shared libraries) that are normally used to make the SAP application run on top of a database. DBconnect is limited to work only with the database types that the SAP application can run on - Oracle, MS-SQL, and the DB2 flavors (400, 390, UDB EEE Aix or Windows).

UD connect

1.)We use UD connect for other databases which are not SAP supported (not certified)

2.) It does'nt support deltas

3.) It is used for relationaal as well as multidimensional databases.

4.) In this case more problems occur . UDconnect utilizes a different technique altogether, it relies on the adapter framework that exists within the java part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server.

5.)There are adapters there that can be used together with drivers to establish an interface with non-SAP systems. You can use ODBO, XMLA, or JDBC drivers together with these SAP adapaters to build the interface. Thus, UDconnect is open to intreface with a wide range of system types - there are more than 200 JDBC drivers available from Sun Microsystems, for all kinfd of systems (Teradata, Sybase, SAS, just to name a few).

however ,

In SAP NetWeaver BI 7.0, both scenarios support a remote query scenario, where the data does not have to be loaded into the SAP NetWeaver BI system in order to run queries (although in many cases you will want to anyway). In 3.5, only UDconnect supports the remote query scenario.

If you have the choice between DBconnect and UDconnect, DBconnect is usually the first choice. The interface is more simple (using dbsl's from the basis level of the system), and more mature. This basis technology has existed for more than 15 years, while java is relatively new for SAP and less mature. There are more layers in the interface for UDconnect. If the system you are interfacing with is MS-SQL, DB2 or Oracle, DBconnect is probably the best choice. One complexity that can arise is that if you are on a unix system and you want to use DBconnect to interface with an MS-SQL system - if you use DBconnect, you would need a windows application server in order to run the dbsl's (the windows ones don't run on unix). So in that case, UDconnect could be a viable alternative

Regards,

Supriya

Former Member
0 Kudos

BI experts,

Thank you all for great inputs. That is surely helpful. Actually from the development standpoint, I found DB Connect to be more friendly than UD while connecting to SAP supported Data bases and happy to know that you are all in unison. Thanks Again

-Yashu Raj

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

DB connect is the source system where we can connect only SAP certified databases that are 7 in number in which oracle,SQL server,informix,myDB,and 3 IBM DB2 databases.with this we will get good performance but the disadv is we can connect only less number of databases

when comes to the UD connect,its viceversa like we can connect any database to it,the performance will be very poor

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi yashu,

just check this link.

reward points if helpful.

bye.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yashu,

In My Experience, DB connect will provide better benefits if you are able to use it. On a system which runs SAP, all SQL commands that are set up by the SAP core system or ABAP programs, regardless of whether open or native SQL commands are concerned, automatically refer to these default connections.

With DB Connect, you have the additional option of opening other database connections and using these to transfer data from tables or views into a SAP BW system, the pre requisite is that the database system is supported by SAP, then this data will be recognized by SAP BW.

To note your Oracle database is on the list of supported databases.

Using UD connect you can access all relational multi dimension databases, but UD will transfer as a flat file, UD connect can be loaded into BW and or create a remote cube in BW that reads the database directly.

There is never really an issue with either of them however, large and complex volumes of data using UD connect can be overly complicated. But if your data set like you said is small then they should function the same way

Regards

Ben

PS assign points if useful