cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise an Event in Redwood after a Commit to an External Oracle DB?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Netweaver Community / Redwood specific,

I am at customer site and have been presented with the following scenario and subsequent question...

The scenario is that there is a 3rd party product (powerBuilder program / windows executable) that is updating an Oracle database on a server outside of the SAP landscape. This PB program is writing records to the oracle db that need to be picked up by XI process. The idea is that after the PB program makes its COMMIT of the records, then the XI process needs to be triggered to start so it can pick up the records.

So the question is... How can an event be raised in Redwood after a COMMIT of records has been made to this oracle DB that is on a server outside of the SAP landscape?

I am familiar with (and we are already doing) the raising of an event in Redwood from an ABAP program with function module that raises external events.

This is what I know - please do not hesitate to ask for further clarification.

Thank you,

Dean Atteberry.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dean,

<b>Approach 1:</b>

Create a chain with 2 jobs in redwood.

Job 1: Powerbuilder program to update Oracle Db

Job 2: XI pickup up the records.

Make Job 2 in chain dependent on Job 1.

<b>Approach 2:</b>

Create a job & event in redwood.

Event : Let Redwood monitor log file of powerbuilder program. Based on any change in the file, event will be raised.

Job 2: Based on this event redwood will trigger XI.

- Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem, as I understand it, is that XI and Redwood do not speak to each other. So, using Approach 1 below, how does XI in Job 2 of this Redwood chain, know when the last record has been written to the Oracle DB? Our concern is that we not have to assign a time for Job 2 to initiate but rather it kick off automatically when the last record is written to the DB. Please respond if you know a way to make this work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Carol,

Sorry for the delay! I am not that frequent to SAP forums. You can write to me on my mail if you have something important. We can always update forum note for everyone.

I do not know XI that well. But If I understand correctly, you can trigger events in it based on arrival of a file. You can create a dummy job in Redwood on Unix or any filesystem you use to create a zero byte file once Powerbuilder job is ready.

Let me know if this helps!

- Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

BTW, I will also check on how u can trigger XI from Redwood. I'm sure this is possible.