cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have arround 150GB of files in the file server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have arround 150 GB of files in one of our file servers and we wanted to import them in to Portal KM.for this i have 3 q

1 ) What should be our portal box size.

2) Do the Portal Performance will decrease if we have this many files in the KM repository

3)How do we import all these files from file server o KM repository?

Thanks

Ajay

Message was edited by:

ajay ramadhar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

carsten_buechert
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

there have been three guys spending their time with your issue. If you've been able to solve your problem or if you got your question answered, it would be very kind to mark your question as solved and spend some points to the helping hands.

Bye,

Carsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have one more q in this ?

What will be the server configuration.

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guyz for the help,I got the solution.

Ajay

carsten_buechert
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

ad 1)

it depends on the repository manager (file system, database, ...) and the repository services you want to use. e.g. if you use versioning, the size of your data will increase rapidly beyond 150 GB. See <a href="https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000289152007E/SIZING_KMC_1_0.pdf">this</a> document for further details.

ad 2)

Yes, it will. But at what factor depends on you content recipients. The most important question is: will the requests on the portal increase because of the new documents? Will portal usage increase? The size of your new data is not so important. More important is the number of documents.

ad 3)

You may keep the documents in the file system and use a file system repository. Or use WebDAV (PortalDrive) to copy them to KM.

Hope this helps, if not - come back,

Carsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have one basic q ,when we install KM and Collaboration then by default the KM repository will be installed right and all the documents which were uploaded in KM will be stored in this Repository?

Then what is this repository manager ?

Ajay

frank_friedrich
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

the default installation will provide different repositories which you will see in "KM Admin". These are only the visible repositories. Every repository has a repository manager. There exists different kind of repository manager. For example a default repository is "documents" it is a sample repository which you can use. This repository is a CM repository with db persistance mode. This means this repository is assigned a CM repository manager. The content is stored in the database. Other important repositories are file system repository and WebDAV repository and CM repository in different persistance mode (db, fsdb and dbfs).

Now back to your question for your 150GB files.

You have to think about the repository services you want to use, about your document and the size of the single documents. About performance aspects and so on... after all this you know which repository it is the best to use.

So perhaps it could be a good idea´to define an own repository of type CM repository Manager with dbfs persistance mode (you can use every repository service and the files are stores at the file system and not in the database) and copy all your files including your file structure via PortalDrive into your repository.

Best Regards

Frank

carsten_buechert
Contributor
0 Kudos

It is an interface between various physical repositories and your KM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the response.

If i use the Other important repositories like file system repository and WebDAV repository and CM repository in different persistance mode (db, fsdb and dbfs).

Then can i use the functionality of KM like versioning ,Approval process etc in this server also.

Thanks

Ajay

frank_friedrich
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

so this is the "disadvantage", using file system repository or in generell WebDAV repsoitory versioning or approval workflow doesn't work. Perhaps using webDAV versioning works but this depends as well on the support of your WebDAV server. using the CM repository every Repository Service is supported. No matter which persistance mode you use. As a remark: versioning and approval process is a repository service.

Best Regards

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Thanks Frank for the information.

Cheers

Ajay

former_member1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want to link KM to other repository like MS Share Point or Flat File System. You create the repository manager for this in System Administration.

Thanks,

Anish