Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autostart parameter to start SAP instance

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I have been trying to find a way to automatically start the SAP instance for our SAP PI system (Netweaver 7.0). I have seen some posts regarding the undocumented "Autostart" parameter, and I have set this parameter in both the start and instance profile. The SAP<SID>_00 service starts as normal, but I still have to manually start the SAP instance in SAPMMC.

This PI system is in an MSCS cluster (Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition x64), and it would be a nice to be sure that the instance starts up automatically when a server in the cluster starts up again after a failure.

Does anybody have any clues?

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't understand your problem :

We have a R/3 4.7 system on an MSCS Cluster (Windows 2003 Itanium 64).

We did not have anything special to configure to get R/3 to restart in case of a cluster failover.

This is precisly the job of an R/3 MSCS installation.

Launch The Cluster Administrator and right-click on your PI SID resource in the PI group. Then choose "Properties". Click on "Advanced" and verify if "Restart" is checked.

Of course, "Restart" should also be checked for the database resource.

Regards,

Olivier

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver.

There are some fundamental changes to the MSCS setup for NW 7.0 compared to R/3 4.7. The ASCS and SCS instances that are clustered are able to start automatically during a failover, the problem is with the "central instance" or primary application server if you like. This instance is not clustered (as per recommendations from SAP).

So when node A is booted (everything is running on node B) and the ASCS and SCS instances (within the SAP cluster group in Cluster Admin) is moved over from node B, ASCS and SCS instances start automaticcaly on node A, but not the central instance locally on node A.

Does this clarify my problem for you?

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I understand better : what you call a central instance is just the first application server which happens to be installed on the cluster hardware.

In my opinion, the app server is not clustered because an app server is not a SPOF. If you have other app servers (which you need to be HA), they will still run and your PI is fine.

If you absolutely want this "first app server" to start and the "Autostart" parameter in the profile does not work, you have to write a script (cmd or bat file) that starts the app server and install this script as an automatic start Windows service.

Regards,

Olivier

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi.

We decided not to enable this feature...

Regards,

Thomas