cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM & BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

What can be the relation betweent the two?

i mean, is there any direct link or integration between the two?

What a bw consultant needs to know about MDM if he or she has a interest in the subject.

Can u share some docs on MDM5.5 important from BW perspective?

Thanks in advance....

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aby,

I want to add few more points to what ever Markus explained.

MDM is a central place where master data from different systems (SAP & Non-SAP) can be consolidated, cleansed and maintained. All these systems in turn can use this consolidated master data coming from this central place. If you look at the guides that Markus pointed, you can understand how BW can utilize the data coming from MDM.

For integrating MDM with any other system (SAP or Non-SAP), XI is used as integration tool.

Apart from the maintenance of master data, MDM has a component called MDM-PCM (Product Catalog Management) which can be used to host the product catalogs.

If a person has good understanding of the data modeling,he or she can perform better while designing a repository and I assume that BW consultant to have better Data Modeling skills!!

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Generally, SAP BI can run consolidated analyses based on master data which has been consolidated by MDM. As of MDM 5.5 SP02, there are two variants in place with respect to enabling BI analyses based on consolidated master data:

1. Consolidation of master data from client systems:

Allows you to identify identical master data objects within heterogeneous landscapes, merge identical objects centrally, and provide the relevant key mapping information for further use in business operations or BI analytics.

2. Consolidation of BI master data: Allows you to update BI master data info objects to provide a solid base for cross-company reporting, such as global spend analyses.

For a complete overview, see the Scenario Description for <i>Master-Data Consolidation</i> at

http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw04 ->

Planning -> SAP MDM -> MDM 5.5 SP02 - Scenario Descriptions.

For more details, see the <i>MDM 5.5 SP02 - Scenario Process Guide</i> at http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw04 ->

Operations -> SAP MDM.

Regards,

Markus