cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: Java System vs. ABAP + Java System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I posted this message in the EP Implementation forum without realizing there is a dedicated WAS General forum; I apologize to those of you who might have read this already.

My question is;

Under what scenario would I want to install my Web Application Server as an ABAP + Java system?

We have been working with our development Portal server for a few months now with a high degree of success and the WAS Server it sits on is setup as a Java System only.

I understand that for Portals and using business packages in portal I only need Java WAS.

I guess I am only left with the question, when or why would I want to install the ABAP engine?

Would you use that for a different application that sits on WAS other than Portals?

Are there benefits in installing the ABAP engine that you do not have with a Java only system?

Thanks in advance for your help,

~Henry

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Your ABAP stack in WAS server in nothing but your SAP R/3 System. In earlier versions only ABAP stack was available. But now SAP has combined both JAVA and ABAP stack into one. So, if anyone wants to work on both the things then they can you one single server only. No need to have different servers for that.

If your purpose solves with the only JAVA stack then you can continue with that. But, if you are going to install new server and you want to work on both ABAP as well as JAVA then better to install WAS 6.40 with ABAP+JAVA stack. So, single server will setisfy your whole requirement.

I hope you satistied with this answer.

Regards,

Bhavik