cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options other than an ODS

Former Member
0 Kudos

i plan to use 4 ods objects as sources for an infoset query.

the four ods objects would be using 3 generic extractors and 1 text file as their sources.

however, 1 one of the generic extractors has no numeric fields thus, an ods cannot be created for it.

any other options aside from using an ods?

thanks

jay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't understand, you can create an ODS even if there is no numeric field....

Alternative would be to use an InfoObject marked as InfoProvider. Include this IObj in your InfoSet...

hope this helps...

Olivier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi olivier

i meant than an ods needs to have data fields right? and the file i intend to load into it doesn't contain key figures, only characteristics.

re: "Alternative would be to use an InfoObject marked as InfoProvider."

could you kindly point me to a link for this?

thanks

jay

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK but what is the meaning of this characteristics "file": what information does it bring?

You can create an IObj with all your characteristics and load your PC file in it...

The issue is that you need to know what is this data and how you want to use it!

hope this helps...

Olivier...

Olivier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

the file contains 6 fields all pertaining to meter information (e.g. meter brand, meter manufacturer, meter serial number, etc).

i was thinking of extracting it straight from R3 instead of using a pc file.

any suggestions?

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

You can definately extract this information from R/3.

The question here is how you are going to use this information for Further Reporting.

What has been suggested above intends means that you can load this Genric Extractor information into an Infoobject in BW with any one as a Characterstics (which is unique) and rest all as its attribute and include this in your Infoset.

As in an Infoset you can add Infoobjects also, along with your ODS.

Now when you will create an Infoset, you need to ensure howto join this Infoobject with Other ODS Objects for this try to find an ODS which has a Key Field as the Main Infoobject.

Thanks

CK

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi chitrarth

let me see if i understand this right;

- i extract the meter file from r3 using a generic extractor

- i then create 6 infoobjects based on the fields of the meter file

- i choose 1 key field (to be used in establishing a relationship with the other ods objects later on) and make the 5 remaining key fields as attributes of it

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

Yes, that is one of the ways, just to add to it, the selection of which one is Charaterstics(and which 5 are attribute) should be done more intelligently, considering that it should be unique and also preferrably the one which is there as a Key field in other ODS, this will improve the performance of your Reports based on Infoset.

Thanks

CK

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi chitrarth

there is a slight problem. the meter file has 2 key fields (contract account and installation number).

your thoughts please?

thanks

jay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

Decide based on your Requirement first. What is the Purpose..Reporting Requirement ?

Check which field is more suitable to be Used in Infoset joins, you can check this by looking at your 3 ODS design (Key Fields).

Thanks

CK

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks CK, i did as you suggested.

Answers (0)