cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using "Update All Mapped Fields" with multi-value attributes

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

Is it possible to update a value in a multi-value attribute through the import manager? It appears that if a source value is different then it just gets added as another value to the record.

For example, a product has an attribute of speed which is measured in revolutions/minute. Some products can be rated at two speeds (i.e. 1800/3600).

I created a numeric attribute for speed and enable only nominal rating and selected multi-valued.

In import manager, I set "/" as multi delimiter for source field. This created two entries in destination attribute, 1800 and 3600.

However, if on subsequent imports the speed values changes for this record (i.e. 1200 and 1800) then I will now have 1200, 1800, and 3600 as values for this record.

Would the proper solution be to create two individual numeric attributes that are single valued (i.e. Speed1 and Speed2)?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aaron,

in your example it would make sense to use two different attributes called "Speed1" and "Speed2". Using the multi value option, MDM allows you to store a list of values into a single field. This list is more or less unlimited, you can add as many values as you like. A change of an existing value is not possible. The reason is that Import Manager does not know, which value you've changed! So it simply adds the "new" record (which is the 1200 in your example) to your value list. This is the intended behaviour of the "update all mapped fields option". If you really want to replace the values, you can check if the "Replace" option is useable for you. But note, that the replace will replace the complete existing record with the incoming new one. This means if the product you want to import with the replace option is smaller than the existing one (maybe it does not contain values for all segments), you'll loose data in MDM.

BR Michael

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

Michael,

I discovered setting that actually allows you to replace values rather than append values in a multi value field/attribute.

In Import Manager, on the Map Fields/Value tab you can right-click on the mapped destination field of a multi-value field and select the "Set multi-value update > Replace" option from the context menu.

The behavior now will be to replace all values in this field for matching records instead of appending values.

In this case, it is not necessary to create additional attributes for multiple value purposes.

Thanks,

Aaron

Answers (0)