Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is &NC& auth group?

Former Member

What does mean &NC& auth group?

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member

If a table is created with an auth group being assigned to it, it defaults to &NC& for the purposes of security.

This does not happen for program auth groups.

0 Kudos

does that mean &NC& is equivalent to * ?

0 Kudos

If you give &NC& for S_TABU_DIS in a role, it will give access to a large number of tables that do not have an auth group as standard, but thankfully not as much as a * would.

0 Kudos

So what you meant above is, "If a table is created with<b>out</b> an auth group being assigned to it, it defaults to &NC& for the purposes of security."

0 Kudos

you are entirely correct! please accept my apologies.

I have just spotted my typo which renders my original answer totally incorrect!

0 Kudos

Hi Gautam,

Strictly speaking, it will not default the authorization group on the table to &NC&, but rather, when the user has access to standard table display / maintenance transactions (SM34, SM31, SM30, SE16, N, SE11, SE17, etc), the program will make an authority-check against '&NC&' IF the table has not been assigned to a table group (S_TABU_DIS authoritation group).

This effectively groups all tables without an authorization group into a symbolic group (for the purpose of table display and possibly even maintenance, though the latter would not make sense...).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

thanks for clarifying that Julius!