cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS Customization.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to customize the component ess/us/addr from the standard ESS package. I'm adding extra telephone fields into the existing screen. I'm adding the following elements on my UI layer.

Label : Com01 Area1 Teln1 Extn1

The names mentioned above(except label) are context variables mapped to the model. Model Name : HRXSS_PER_P0006_US. Com01 is a drop down field the other three are input fields. These UI elements are on the Edit screen.

Scenario : I'm successfully launching the WD application. Updating the fields with valid data in the edit screen and successfully saving. None of the fields mentioned above are mandatory. After saving, when i go back to the screen again and try to change the existing data, I'm successful again. " <b>But during this data modification, I get an error after deleting the entries and leaving the fields blank</b>." I then checked the backend, i realized that, when i try to delete the entries and proceed, the backend entries are not getting deleted. On further enquiry i saw that, the com01 field is being emptied in the backend and the other three fields are not getting updated. <b>In the backend, Area1, Teln1, Extn1 are together getting saved as Num01. My problem is this field Num01 is not getting updated when i leave the fields blank on the UI.</b>

Please help solving the issue. Can anyone also elaborate if this is a WD java problem or a problem from the backend?

Regards,

Chaitanya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikael,

The error persists even after restarting the portal!

Regards,

Chaitanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

It might be that Area1 Teln1 Extn1 are parsed back and to the Num01 field.

Suppose the parser doesn't accept empty fields when concatenating Area1 Teln1 Extn1 into Num01?

Can you try and see if the same happens if you enter characters in the Extn1 field or Teln1 field. Does the Num01 get updated?

An other option is that the Area1 Teln1 Extn1 fields are null and not empty. Try setting them to an empty value and see if that works.

Otherwise you might be able to set Num01 to an empty value when the number is deleted, and bypass any parsing/concatenation rules...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kevin,

I'm importing a standard model from R/3. I have not made any changes to it.

Mikael,

We have already done the external debugging from ABAP. Unfortunately on the ABAP layer we cannot see the values for Area1, Teln1 and Extn1 separately. We can see them together(concatenated) as Num01. But then this Num01 field is not becoming blank when we delete values from UI.

Regards,

Chaitanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Like the earlier posting, if you havn't restarted the portal after deploing a modified webdynpro model, you could get all kinds of problems.

The Jco layer is parsing data to and from ABAP via fix positions defined from model xml's at j2ee engine startup.

If you add or remove a field you could easily shift the datastream and the parser would pars at wrong positions.

For instance if you have a datefield with the value '20071023' and add a genderfield before ('M'/'F') the parser could parse the date filed as 'M2007102', and you would get an exception when the datefield is used to create a java.sql.Date class later.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A good way is to place a external breakpoint in transaction se37 for the user you're testing with, and see what webdynpro is sending to the function module.

In se37 choose the menu Utilities -> Settings -> ABAP Editor -> Debugging.

Activate External Debugging and enter username.

Go back to the functionmodule, select some row and press Ctrl + Shift+ F12, and choose External Breakpoint.

When the breakpoint is reached you can examine the importing and changing structures of the function modules and verify what data webdynpro sends.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you modify the model and need to re-import into your project? if so, you will need to restart the portal. Not sure if this is the case or not, but it can cause odd problems with fields until the portal is restarted.