cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Difference/s Between BASIS and NETWEAVER

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

I d like to know what is teh difference between Netweaver and Basis. The only thing I know is that both are application platforms on which various SAP apps run.

Secondly how does linux, Web Application Server and Databases fit into Netweaver or BASIS for that matter.

Pls elaborate.

Kind Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Private_Member_9643
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi aldin,

if you like to compare Basis with NetWeaver, its not fair, as NetWeaver is a technology which comprises of many components including EP, BI, MDM, WAS, MI....

Its better if you compare Basis with WAS. Job of basis is more or like administration job, it acts as a middleware, so same is of WAS. The difference comes here in terms of WEB and other new componets which it started supporting, which earlier was not fully supported by basis.

Whever you install any component of NetWeaver, WAS is the mandatory requirement. Like if you want to make use of BI funcitionality of NetWeaver, you have to first install WAS, and over that you have to install other BI components.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Kamaljeet

NOTE:Pls don't forget to assign reward points when you feel that the answers to your questions are valuable.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Aldin,

In simplest terms, SAP Basis is the roots of SAP WEBAS and SAP NetWeaver. The original Basis release included the foundation for the ABAP application server. SAP Basis evolved into the WEB Application Server by adding built-in Web and Java capabilities.

SAP WEBAS then evolved into the SAP Netweaver Platform. This solution included the previous SAP Basis and web capabilities and added a number of additional functionality. The additional functions provide an integrated set of foundational tools and specific usage types. For example, Portal, Business Intelligence, Process Integration (PI/XI), etc. Solutions like ERP that are built on SAP NetWeaver consume the common functionalilty to provide a consistent experience between SAP solutions; (e.g. Universal Worklist and Workflow functionality).

The follow list provides an overview of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform:

SAP NetWeaver AS 6.40+

Clear separation

Presentation Layer

Business Layer

Integration Layer

User Interface Programming

Dynpro

Web Dynpro for Java

Web Dynpro for ABAP

BSP (Business Server Pages)

JSP (Java Server Pages)

Shared facilities

Connectivity (Internet Communication Manager)

Common Integration execution (Integration Engine)

Shared benefits

Platform independence

Scalability and high availability

Best Regards,

Storm Archer

SAP Netweaver Product Manager

SAP Labs, LLC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

I am working as IT support in company and I have done CCNA & MCP certified and now i want to enter in SAP. please advise how to start first and from where I can download study materials. because I have to study at my home.

so please guide me and help for study material.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi , we have posted in a old thread . pls select the appropriate platform .

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aldin,

Basis-is Kernal of R/3 4.6 C and before.

From R/3 version 4.7 onwards the Basis/Kernal is called WAS.

This WAS is Web enabled(ICM,ITS etc..)ALl these components are incorporated inot WAS,so as to enable the internet/web access to R/3.

This WAS also has versions,like 6.10,6.20...latest is 6.40.

Well,MetWeaver is the Technology,it is not a server or a msetup.

If you have any of theses( EP/BI/XI/MDM etc..),means you are having NW(NetWeaver).The ;ates is NW`04 SR1.

I hope this helps.

P.S: Don`t forget points.

Rgs

vikas

Gauravjsap84
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

Basis is not a technology like netweaver. Basis is a part & netweaver is a plateform.

Both have kernal difference. 610, 620, 640, 700.

thanks

former_member220430
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Netweaver is a platform for which other SAP Solutions run on. Basis is the technical module.

With regard to you question on Linux, Database and Application server, they form the 3-tier architecture of SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

SAP versions from 3.x to 4.7 run on BASIS engine it is built up with ABAP,C,C++.. Coding where as new versions of SAP 5.0, 6.0 are all run by Netweaver engine which is built up with mix of ABAPand Java coding and it's called SAP Netweaver. So now all the new versions are called with SAP NW04, NW04s....

Regards,

Hari.