cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Currently i am doing DR set up for our production server. We have ECC 5.0 Server with oracle 9i as database and running on Suse linux.

First i installed the DR sever with the same above said specification and restored the DR database with the production database. And i moved the DR database to standby mode after which i applied all the offline archieve log files into DR from production .

I increased the table space in production. Now the problem in i am not able to apply the offline archieve log files generated after the table space increase.

When i tried to extend the table space in DR it says database is not open.

So when i open the database from standby mode i was told that it is not possible to move again to Standby mode again.

Please advice me on this issue.

Sriram.S

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

madhukara_shenoy
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ofcourse u should that parameter in standby database

madhukara_shenoy
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

The reason for the above error could be structral changes(addition of the datafile) in the primary is not available in the DR.

The initialization parameter(in spfile / init.ora), STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT, allows you to control whether or not adding a datafile to the primary database is automatically propagated to the standby database, as follows:

If you set the STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT initialization parameter in the

standby database server parameter file to AUTO, any new datafiles created on

the primary database are automatically created on the standby database as well.

If you do not specify the STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT initialization

parameter or if you set it to MANUAL, then you must manually copy the new

datafile to the standby database when you add a datafile to the primary

database

The solution in case could be setting the database parameter STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT =AUTO

This should help!

Regards,

Madhukar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow the example to add data file on DR site:

alter database create datafile'/oracle/SID/sapdata4/prd640_16/prd.data16' as

'/oracle/SID/sapdata4/prd640_16/prd.data16' size 2000M autoextend off;

Pls note you wount be able to use brtools on DR site as Database is read only.

Secondly , repeat the steps for setting up dr site

Pls reward points,if u find it helpful....

Regards,

Supriyo Choudhury

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

You wont be able to apply offline redologs because you have recently added a data file on PRD side these changes on Production should be synchronized manually .i.e Add data file at DR side by issuing following command:

ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE '/oracle/...;

For this no need to open the database.

<b>So when i open the database from standby mode i was told that it is not possible to move again to Standby mode again.</b>

Yes, true the whole procedure has to be repeated.

Hope this is useful

Regards

Umesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram

I guess you extended the tablespaces with a new file. Did you do it with BRTools? One possible problem could be, BRTools creating a new directory /oracle/SID/sapdataX/<b>tsp_x</b>.

In this case you have to create this directory on the standby side as well.

<b>When i tried to extend the table space in DR it says database is not open.</b>

Can you please give more details on this? How are you extending (just post the command) and what error are you getting?

<b>So when i open the database from standby mode i was told that it is not possible to move again to Standby mode again.</b>

It is possible to stay in standby mode, if and only if you opened the standby db as read only.

Regards

Michael