Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

46c with 46d_ext kernel sles and oracle platform question

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear sap on linux community,

I currently have R/3 4.6c with 46d_ext kernel running on sles8 and ora 9204 (all 32-bit)

As part of an upgrade project I want to move current system to sles10 and oracle 10 (all 64-bit). I am using that note as a starting point.

According to the note oracle 9 client is required with ora10 db ?

Why is this ?

This leads to some conflicting results from pam.

pam states that it is supported to run ora10 64-bit on sles10.

But as far as I know it is not suported to install ora9 client on sles10.

Please explain.

Do I need a db server with sles10ora10 and a ci app server with sles9ora9 ?

Rgds, Eirikur.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

I strongly recommend you to take a look at the note <a href="http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/521230">521230: FAQ: Client software 9i or earlier on UNIX</a>

The oracle client to be used on a SAP system running on UNIX depends on the <b>KERNEL</b>

You are upgrading

- Your OS ( from SLES 8 to 10 )

- Your Oracle DB ( from 9i to 10g )

Your kernel is NOT changing, therefore the oracle client still is the same as before.

NOTE. Even when the oracle client still is 9i, you must have version 9.2.0.7 or 9.2.0.8

Please, do not confuse the oracle client version (9i) with the RDBMS version (10g)

There is no conflict with PAM. PAM talks about RDBMS version, not about client versions.

At the end you will have a DB server running oracle 10g (RDBMS) and CI/AS runing kernel 46D_EXT with Oracle <b>CLIENT</b> 9i

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Fidel,

best thanks to you for replying.

pam talks about the rdbms version and has also a note about minimum client version of 9.2.0.7.

Since this is stated as a minimum it is not clear that 9.x is also the maximum client version.

I have tried to install oracle 9i client with the oracle installer under sles 10 and this hangs.

Can you confirm that this is not supported and I will need to use sles9 on my ci ?

Or can I install the required client files without using the oracle installer ?

If I would wish to use central system under sles10 it would appear that this is not supported (since the ora9 client cannot be installed).

For these reasons I say that pam is misleading.

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Fidel,

I have solved the problem now and this is mostly because of your valuable advice.

I found out that I can run the sap oracle 9208 client on my sles10 machine and that I dont need to run the

oracle installer at all.

I still persist with my minor remark that pam could be even more useful if it would state clearly that only ora.cli.9 is supported agains ora10 db.

But maybe this comment reveals more about my ignorance than about the shorcomings of pam !

Again thank you for your valuable response which really helped to put me on the right track.

Rgds, eirikur.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Note that the oracle client to be installed is the one delivered by SAP.

This one is NOT installed using OUI.

Please check note 1017418 "Installing Oracle 9208 Client software on UNIX" for detailed instructions.

Please, try to read and understand the previously mention FAQ.

Oracle client 10g is supported against 10g RDBMS IF and only IF you are using kernel 700 ( at this exact point in time, in the future SAP will deliver new kernels and they will use 10g client, and later on who knows )

The Oracle 10g upgrade guide has a long list of notes that you should have checked.

it mentions several times that "AS might still use Oracle9i clients"

Not sure what else do you need.

Answers (0)