cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do we go for BCS having its own box...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am preparing a proposal for a client of mine where I need to highlight the following two points among others:

When do we go for SEM-BCS on its own box versus SEM-BCS on the same box as BW and/or BPS.

How does BCS stack up vis-a-vis its competition (Pros and Cons). I know about BCS very well. But I am not much conversant with the merits of its competition (like Hyperion or OutlookSoft). Anyone with pointers in this area would really be appreciated, especially if you happen to have a small brief in the form of a presentation or something similar.

Any help in the right directions...

Thanks in anticipation.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What version of BW are u using, As of 3.5 BCS sits on top of BW so there is no need for a seperate BCS box.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The competetion part depends on the user requirements, I have been in places where users were comfortable using hyperion so they continued with it, there are also places where BCS was a huge implementation for the users, e.g for legal and management consolidation.

As of BI7.0 SAP promotes Integrated planning rather than BW-BPS so it will be good to look towards doing IP rather than BPS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Outlook soft has been acquired by SAP and they are positioning this BP& C that is business planning and consolidation. I dont really understand the strategy behind such acquisition since SAP is also haeavily developing in SEM BCS as u see the evolution of this product from 3x ->4.0 -> 6.00.

With SEM BCS 6.00 SAP can proudly position this as real competitor for hyperion. Unfortunately for SAP, they deliver the product well ahead of the trained consultants are available for implementation with the result many customers blame the product rather than the implementation. I have seem many customers moving from hyperion to SEM BCS but sadly in one of the cases customer who migrated from hyperion to SEM BCS going back to hyperion due to poor implementation.