Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server is no longer responding

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have MDM 5.5 installed on Linux and ORACLE database 10.2 on the same server. I have installed MDM Console,Data +Import Manager on my local PC. Up to this morning everything was working fine and we had imported 2 repositories for our test project.

Today we had to reboot the Linux box. After the reboot I brought up ORACLE database and mds,mdism,mdss server without any issue. tnsping <servicename> works fine as well as sqlplus by the mdm OS user.

Now, when I go to MDM console:

I click logs and nothing happens. The tree with the 2 repositories is collapsing.

If I do DBMS setting it says: Server is no longer responding

If I try to login to the repositories it says: Server is no longer responding

If I try to unmount/delete the repositories it says the same.

I have uninstalled/resinstalled the GUIs again. Nothing changes. Somehow, when I mount the mdm server it keeps the repositories frozen and the whole Console seems not to communicate with MDM and DBMS services.

Any idea?

Rgds,

Loukas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check whether you have ini files are there...

GK

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ini files are there. The point is that a colleague from France is also accessing the MDM servers and ORACLE through MDM Console without any problem. That is weird.

He can do all the action with the repositories without facing the problems I do.

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Moreover I have run some CLIX commands and the response is :

CLIX>clix mdsStatus mucsapt2 Credentials

RepositName [DBMSInstance] (DBMSType) Port# Status

-

-

-

-

-

TsT_BUSINESS_PARTNERS [MDM1] (Oracle) Needs Login

TsT_CUSTOMERS [MDM1] (Oracle) Needs Login

CLIX>clix dbgetdbmssetting mucsapt2 mdm1

Error: 0xffab4118, Cannot connect to MDM repository or DBMS.

CLIX>CLIX dbInitialize mucsapt2 mdm1

Error: 0xffab4118, Cannot connect to MDM repository or DBMS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas,

It looks like you're running SP5 Patch 0. I would recommend upgrading to Patch 2. There were problems with the Console being able to detect MDS when a person's machine has had the network command "ping" disabled (which may work for you at the command prompt, but is disabled for applications, hence the "server is no longer responding" message you're getting). In Patch 2, the Console no longer uses this level of communication to determine if the server is still alive. This would also explain why one person's not having problems and you are.

Also, for CLIX, you must provide the DBMS credentials and repository credentials in order to perform a command. In other words, in your example, you said:

clix mdsStatus muscapt2 Credentials

It should look like this:

clix mdsStatus muscapt2:<your DBMS instance name>:<dbms type>:<dbms username>:<dbmspassword> <repository username>:<repository password>

e.g., for a SQL Server instance named SQL123 with username sa and password boo, and a repository username Admin with no password, the command would look like this:

clix mdsStatus muscapt2:SQL123:s:sa:boo Admin:

This is all documented in the help screen for CLIX.

Hope this helps,

Cleopatra

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cleopatra,

thank you so much for your response. Indeed, I tried late on Friday to update the MDS server on Patch 2 and the Console as well to the same Patch level and it worked.

However, when I later upgraded the Import Manager and Syndication Server as well as the GUIs for Data Manager and Import Manager to Patch 2 , the GUIs did not work properly.

I guess I have to do a clean upgrade , meaning stop all services upgrade to Patch 2 and then uninstall/ install the Patch 2 GUIs.

Or should I maybe do it in pairs? Upgrade MDS/Console GUI, Import Manager/Import Manager GUI?

As far as CLIX concerns I have gone through the help and I have seen all the commands. However, I have found in the forum that the CLIX start command will not work for Linux.

Best regards,

Loukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas,

I would stop all services and upgrade all components at the same time. Each GUI ends up talking to MDS as well as their respective server (e.g. Import Manger GUI and Import Manager service), so you can't upgrade piecemeal; it won't work.

As for using the "start" command in CLIX, do you mean for starting the server, or for loading a repository? If there is a problem with CLIX we need to know. I think there was a problem, but we fixed it in Patch 2 (it slipped by the testers in previous releases of SP5) so hopefully your upgrade to Patch 2 will fix all of the issues you're having.

Please let me know if you're still having problems after your upgrade is finished!

Thanks,

-Cleopatra

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cleopatra,

thank you very much once again.I will have to plan the upgrade towards the end of the week since the developers are uploading repositories and it is a bit difficult to find a slot.

CLIX is not working with the "start" command. I have tried several tries and I have found a relevant post in 1 or 2 forums (unfortunately I could not find them -- maybe you can a search yourself).I am going to try it again tomorrow morning (I am writing from home now) and I will write in the post the exact error message.

I am launching the servers by running on the Linux server (manually):

~mdm/ ./mds-r &

./mdis-r &

./mdss-r &

and I am stopping them by killing the PIDs on the Linux OS.

A consultant from France suggested me to use the "&" in order to have the processes running in the background. I am sure I will have to create a script to automate the start/stop of the services.

Thanks,

Loukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas,

The problem with CLIX not behaving on non-Windows platforms was fixed in SP5 Patch 1 (sorry you had to discover it on your own!). When you upgrade to Patch 2, all should be well with CLIX. Please let me know if it helps!

Thanks,

Cleopatra

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Cleopatra ,

it took me some time to respond since I have been trying to perform the upgrade to Patch 2. To make a long story short, I have tried to upgrade the MDM server to Patch 2 (Ver. 5.5.42.48) but I had some issues which I will mention now.

I performed the upgrade in the following way:

My initial instalaltion was in /opt/MDM/bin (MDM_HOME) and in parallel I had created 3 execution directories as described in the Installation Guide:

~mdm/mdm/mds

/mdis

/mdss

where I had located the files :

mds,mds-r

mdis,mdis-r

mdss,mdss-r.

So each time I wanted to launch the server I was using 3 sessions and I was running (SUSE Linux):

./mds-r &

./mdis-r &

./mdss-r &

Now, in order to upgrade I backed up the dir /opt/MDM . Then I uploaded the .bz2 files for each server under /opt and I "tar xjvf <file_name> " them.

The untar created the folders:

bin

lib

Lexikons

LangString

and under bin you could find all the mds/mds-r, mdis/mdis-r, mdss/mdss-r files.

I then copied these files under the ~mdm/mdm/mds ../mdis. ../mdss execution folders and I launched the servers.

In the meantime I had installed the relevant new versions of the GUIs MDM Console, Import Manager, Data Manager.

First symptom was that whenever I was opening the console, mounting the server and then connecting and loading the repository I had 100% CPU on my PC due to the console.

The mds-r & process was terminated with message "segmentation fault".

I got this message for 2-3 times and then it stopped. I have 2 repositories , the first one could connect and load it immediately. the second on was stuck and cause 100% CPU for my console.

Import manager Console was launched (with the new version of the GUI) and it was also stuck, was saying that repository(ies) are not loaded although I had loaded at least the 1 of the 2.

At the end I decided to roll back to previous ver. Patch1.

Now everything looks ok apart from the Console which does not work properly due to Patch1 as you have mentioned above.

Your help is needed desperately.

Loukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas,

It sounds like you're having installation issues. Have you searched this forum to see if your questions/issues have already been answered? I would suggest at least posting your question in a separate thread with a more correct subject, as it will get more attention that way. Sorry I can't help with this, but I have no experience with the installation, and have been too busy today to ask others for their assistance.

Good luck!

-Cleopatra

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas,

Are you running 5.5 SP5 Patch 2? If not, can you upgrade to that version? If this is the same problem I think it is, it was fixed in Patch 2.

Thanks!

-Cleopatra

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The version is:

5.5 SP5 (5.5.40.97)

null