Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Behaviour of ztables during upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I am trying to rationalise our ztables and would like to change the Delivery Class of some of our tables from 'W' to 'C' so that data can be transported through our landscape rather than manually entered on each system.

I've read the SAP help on the Delivery Class and note that the behaviour during Upgrade differs between 'W' and 'C'...:

<b>Client Dependant</b>

Class A and C: Data is only imported into client 000. Existing data records are overwritten.

Class E, S and W: Data is imported into all clients. Existing data records are overwritten.

<b>Client Independant</b>

Classes A, L and C: No data is imported.

Classes E, S, and W: Data is imported. Existing data records with the same key are overwritten.

...but I don't really understand what it means in practice. Is anybody able to explain to me what data is being imported and what the relevance of Client 000 is in this particular instance?

Please don't just copy the SAP help as I have already read it!!!

Thanks

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

I can tell you something from what I have observed.

When we give class A the changes need to be done by us in all systems individualy.

When Class C, it asks for a transport and we can have same value transported

In this context client 000 is nothing but the client which you are using.So this would mean with A and C data is only in that client where you are using it or updating it.

So for other client you need to either make data manually as in case of A or in case of C you need to import the Transport.

From this behaviour it seems that for Class E,S and W the data that is being created in one client get's copied to other clients too on that system so it is like a system wide change in the data.

Hope this helps in getting some idea.

Regards

Nishant

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

I can tell you something from what I have observed.

When we give class A the changes need to be done by us in all systems individualy.

When Class C, it asks for a transport and we can have same value transported

In this context client 000 is nothing but the client which you are using.So this would mean with A and C data is only in that client where you are using it or updating it.

So for other client you need to either make data manually as in case of A or in case of C you need to import the Transport.

From this behaviour it seems that for Class E,S and W the data that is being created in one client get's copied to other clients too on that system so it is like a system wide change in the data.

Hope this helps in getting some idea.

Regards

Nishant

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Nishant

I think the behaviour youa re describing is during updates to ztables. I'm trying to understand how the delivery class affects the table during upgrade. I don't want to go and change the delivery classes only to find it messes up an upgrade (which we are due to do next year!).

I've not had the pleasure of experiencing an upgrade so don't understand what is meant by data being imported - what data? where does it come from?

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

My feeling is you are doing the right thing by changing the class from W to C.

The explanation of the delivery class is written from SAP's perspective and refers to new entries (or entries to new tables) during the upgrade. Client 000 is the reference client delivered by SAP during installation, you will have taken a copy of this (let's say client 100) and built the config for your own solution. During the upgrade you don't want SAP sticking a load of extra config into client 100 (or worse overwriting your own settings) so they go into client 000.

As SAP won't be delivering any new entries into your z-tables this won't impact on them.

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

With respect to upgrade I am having limited exposure in terms of that at that time I was only involved in correcting upgrade issues.

And from my memory I can only remember that we didn't change any Delivery Class of any table. We are actually not supposed to do that.

And the issues we faced were not in terms of the Delivery class but in terms of removal of field, changes in Data elements, modification in domains, addition of new fields etc etc.

So, based on this I'd say that in my limited experience and based on my experience gained from interaction with people performing upgrade, Delivery Class is not touched.

Sorry for not being able to expound on the relevance of Delivery class w.r.t Upgrade.

Regards

Nishant