cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Layers and sharing of transport directories

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are on R/3 4.7 Enterprise extension set 1.10 with oracle 9i .

In a three tier architecture in R/3 with development , quality and production , how do we assign transport layers and how many transport layers do we need at the time of TMS configuration ?

Secondly in our R/3 three tier landscape , we hv transport directories (trans ) on every system on all the three systems ,then how are they shared with each other , i mean on wt basis do they recognise each other and transport continues frm DEV to QUA and then to production

Requested to revert at earliest as this is very urgent . points guaranteed .

Regards,

Somya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Somya,

When you set up your consolidation route from DEV -> TST you need a transport layer. By default a Standard SAP Transport Layer will always be there, rest of the Transport Layers you need to set up according to your needs, may be 1 / 2 /3 etc etc. Refer http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/57/38de0c4eb711d182bf0000e829fbfe/content.htm

For second part of ur question read this,

Adjusting Transport queues...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/09/88f339db9911d2b41a00609419f767/frameset.htm

Hope this helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bidwan ,

I think i didnt put my question correctly . iam quite aware of the concept of both the questions ,my query is :

1. In between DEV-QUA-PROD , how many transport layers do we need to define and wt is the basis of defining them ,do we need to define transport layer between every two systems and do we need to define them reverse also like PROD_QUA and similarly QUA_DEV ?

2. Iam asking i already hv TMS configured in my landscape with all three ssytems defined and all of them hv their separate transport directories and transport groups but share a single transport domain then how the transport directories are shared between them , i mean how when an import is executed it goes to successor system in landscape , how are their directories shared and accessed between each other ?

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ZDEV

-

>-----

DEV--

>QAS--

>PRD

sap

for the second query...you have to make one system as the transport domain controller...sharing the same transport domain..once all the systems comes to one transport domain. you have to include the other system to the transport domain controller..

also change the profile parameter DIR_TRANS of individual system to the domain controller trans directory..so that it can be shared by all ...

Cheers

Kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello kamal,

Thnx for ur reply.

1. Wt does sap and ZDEV individually mean for ur first answer , we never define transport layer between QA and prod server na ?

2. Where has to be this parameter defined DIR_TRANS ? I saw in rz11 , its pointing to individual systems only not to domain controller ,then how are directories shared?

Points guaranteed.

Reagrds,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

1) sap and Zdev are transport layers....which will be assigned by default when you configure TMS.

what does SAP and ZDEV do ?you can take it like this..standard programs..will go through sap...and customized like (Z or Y programs )will go thorough Zdev path.

the program routing is taken care automatically..(just for your info)

you never need to define transport layer between QA and PRD unless you want add one more Sandbox system for more quality testing..(normally in 3 system landscape you dont configure transport layers between QA and PRD

2) as of now in your scenerio ..its not being shared..

if you plan your DEV as transport domain controller..then in QAS system execute STMS-->system Overview >QAS double click>Communication (change transport domain to Domain controller transport domain) and also transport tool >transdir>(should poing to
<domain controller>\sapmnt\trans)

save the changes..

on the domain controller . in TMS you will see a system waiting for inclusion onto domain ..approve that..and follow the same procedure to add PRD system also..

then all the systems will share the same transport directory..

(Caution: once you setup the landscape like this ..changes to any system using STMS like QAS and DEV has to be done only on Domain controller.)

Cheers

Kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thnx Kamal for ur useful reply , assigned u points ,just a query more :

In between Dev _Prod do we hv to assign transport layer by ourself or it gets done automatically when adding systems in domain . This means whether transport layers hv to be defined by us or not ?

Revert back so tat i close the thread and assign u full points .

Regards,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

All development projects developed in the same SAP System and transported on the same transport routes are grouped together to form a transport layer.

Before you start the first development project, <b>you create a transport layer</b> in the TMS transport route editor. This transport layer is assigned to the development system as its standard transport layer. Objects delivered by SAP belong to the <b>transport layer "SAP".</b> <b>Other transport layers are generally only needed when new development systems are included in the system group</b>.

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vinod,

Could u plz be more specific , whether wer need to create transport layer or not between DEV_PROD and by wt name?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you need to create

A standard transport layer is assigned to each SAP System by Default.

Ex: ZDEV as standard transport layer. Which might be created by you.

A transport layer is assigned to each development class and thus to all objects in that class

And usually from DEV to QUA and QUA to PROD

From DEV to PROD is not Recmndd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vinod,

Just clear tat :

In a three system landscape , between DEV-QUA , standard layer SAP is already thr . we hv to define ZDEV between them and we never define transport layer between QUA - PROD . Is it rite or not

bcoz u hv written :

A transport layer is assigned to each development class and thus to all objects in that class

And usually from DEV to QUA and QUA to PROD

From DEV to PROD is not Recmndd

Thanks,

Somya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Soumya,

In a standard 3 system landscape, it is never required to have a transport layer between Dev and Prod. The reason is, in rare cases, where the development changes have to be transported directly to the Production server, SAP has provided the Workflow Engine option, where a change requested can be directly transferred from the Dev box to the PRD box.

Hence, a delivery route always means originating from the QA system and terminating at the PRD in a standard 3 system landscape.

Regards

Shantanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

My question of transport layer between DEV-QUA is still unanswered plz . plz explain .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Soumya,

Transport layers are unidirectional. Between Dev and QAS, it is required to set up two transport layers.

1. Z<SourceSID> - This is used to transport all packages, that have customer developments (eg y,Z reports/tables)

2. SAP -This is a standard transport laye and is used ONLY to transport SAP Standard Repository Objects.

Former Member
0 Kudos

From DEV to QUA yes ,

If u have 3 system LAnd Scape then From DEV to QUA yes u need to create

In a 3 system there is no question of DEV to PROD

Vinod