Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

How to restore SAP instance with an existing database?

Hi, I am left with only a database containing the ABAP stack only. The SAP central Instance was uninstalled without uninstalling the database. If were to proceed to restore the whole SAP system up, what do you think the method should be? Reinstall SAP as a Distributed system:

Global Host Preparation & Central Instance and leave the Database Instance out?

Some Info:

- The database and previously central Instance were on the same physical box.

- The database is up and running

Has anyone done this before? I really need advise on this.

Points will be rewarded for helpful information.

I think I do, so let me explain :-).

1st, Annie would like to restore her SM 4.0 as it had left with Database Instance only and luckily the database is still in good shape. So inorder for her to restore her SM 4.0 without loosing her configuration, She has to install a Central Instance for ABAP stack only. However, with SM 4 installation cds you have to install SM system with dual stack (ABAP + JAVA). So this is where NW04s come into the picture.

She then perform a simple test by install a "Central System" with ABAP stack only by using NW04s cds. After that she then remove the newly created Central Instance via SAP un-install and finally try to re-store the Central Instance again by using "Distributed System" where she just skipped the installation of Database Instance b/c she want to use her existing DB instance.

However. b/c she used NW04s cd to test she found the schema name is SAPSR3 compared with her existing SM 40 database schema name SAPSSM.

Finally, I believed Annie had successfully recovered her SM 4.0 system. I hope I have explained every thing in details so that every one can understand what was the problem and how Annie go about to solve it.

Well done. Annie.

0 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question