cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am trying to install EP on my laptop so that I can learn the system. I only have 2 gigs of ram on my laptop and that is causing a problem. When the system tries to start up it runs out of memory and shuts down. I know this is happening based on a developer trace of the J2ee server process:

<i>Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

[Thr 1420] JLaunchIAbortJava: abort hook is called

[Thr 1420] **********************************************************************

• ERROR => The Java VM aborted unexpectedly.

• Please see SAP Note 943602 , section 'Java VM crashes'

• for additional information and trouble shooting.

[Thr 1420] JLaunchCloseProgram: good bye (exitcode = -2)</i>

My question is, has anyone installed EP on a laptop before with the same memory constraints that I have. And, is it possible to dedicate more memory to the Java VM? I've already tried maxing out the virtual memory and that doesn't seem to make a difference, unless perhaps I was doing it wrong.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ethan,

Just to make sure if your laptop configuration meets the requirement for EP installation..You can run the "Pre-installation Check" from the SAPinst dvd under 'Additional Tasks'...

Award points to all the helpful answers.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes,

Increase your memory parameter by going to rz11. This is faster and better way. save time..

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use only 1.4.2_09 as the JDk since 1.4.2_10 causes problem..

Later if you want,once its installed you can try other version

George

jawad_hasan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

You can increase the memory parameters of VM, Increase the size through configtool -XX:NewSize, -XX:maxSize and -XX:PermSize,-XX:MaxPermSize. You can do this when the instance is down.Open the config tool, click on server _Id under Instance on left pane.On the right pane in general tab u can see the memory parameters.I hope it helps !!!

Regards,

Jawad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

as far as I can guess, you have already had the correct reply. Check your java version. If you are trying to install CE, Java 5 is what you need. In case its the 2004s, you will need 1.4.2_09 and higher (upto _11 works). It won't work with Java 5.

Sameer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

This is a good alternative.

1. Download Microsoft Virtual Machine Server from Microsoft website

2. Alot 1Gig of RAM and 40 Hard disk space for the installation of EP (Java only). This is the minimum for SAP installation. You can alot more if you want.

3. Install windows server 2003.

4 Start with your SAP preparations.

This is a virtual environment so it is very safe and will not effect your host system.

Regards,

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed 04s portal server on a laptop with 2 GB RAM, worked without any problems. I didn't even change the VM settings.

Some of the JDK versions can cause problems. Please check the system requirements of the version you are trying to install, and try installing the JDK version recommended there.

You can check the Recommended version of JDK for the server version you are installing

Message was edited by:

Kirupanand Venkatapathi