Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC IDES 6.0 non unicode

nicholas_bourgon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have simples questions.

Is it possible to install ECC 6.0 IDES non unicode? If yes, is it supported by SAP?

What are the minimum requirements for ECC 6.0 IDES (unicode and non unicode (if apply))?

Is there a place where we can get this info on the SAP Web Site?

Thank you,

Nicholas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can install Non-Unicode but if you plan to upgrade later to the successor version of ERP 6.0 you will need to do a unicode migration, that´s why SAP (and most consultants) highly recommend installing a Unicode system.

Additionally, if you want to use other products (such as e. g. CRM, BI) later, you will most probably run into trouble because those systems are available in Unicode (and are only supported as such), you will need to do some additional work and some things may not even work.

If you plan to install Java applications on the same system (such as a Portal with ESS/MSS) you MUST use Unicode because Java only knows Unicode.

At the first view, it may appear as waste of resources but in a medium/long term view it makes absolutely sense.

The sizing of such a system should be done by a hardware partner with you/your company together (http://service.sap.com/quicksizer).

--

Markus

nicholas_bourgon
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you Markus for you answer.

I have ordered ECC IDES 6.0 and on the database export DVDs it's written "Installation Export IDES - UNICODE". There is no database Export DVD non-unicode.

If it's possible to install it non unicode where can I found the IDES Export non unicode?

Thank you,

Nicholas

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So - for good reason IDES is apparently only available as Unicode version - you will need to install that (see note 1013391 IDES ERP 2005 ECC 6.0 SR2)

If it's an IDES system, with what do you have a problem using Unicode?

--

Markus

nicholas_bourgon
Explorer
0 Kudos

The main reason why I wanted to install it non unicode is for the database size. An IDES system on ECC 6.0 takes 220 gig. The IDES system on ECC 5.0 (non unicode) was 70 gig. It's almost 4 times bigger than the last version!

Thank you for you answer.

Nicholas

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - but IDES comes with the Java stack (as far as I know) - and it won't work if the system is not Unicode.

The reason behind that is (I assume) the fact, that IDES comes with all languages to enable people from all over the world in any language to test the system. Since many languages work only partially (if even) on non-Unicode systems, SAP provides a one-in-all installation for all customers no matter what language they plan to use IDES.

To avoid trouble during installation (especially if you install a portal on top) I would go for that version.

ERP 6.0 IS a huge complex system, all industry solutions are retrofitted so you have much more coding and thus the size.

--

Markus

Answers (0)