cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portal left side navigation proble

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am facing one strange problem in portal left side navigation. I am having 18 pages in left side navigation panel those pages are appearing when i typed portal url with host name. If i typed portal url with IP address 18 pages are not visible but the first appliction which is default is loading loading.

I dont know why pages are not loading

Can any one help me out for this issue its URGENT.

Regards

Suresh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Generally use host name. IP causes problem in lots of cases. Not just this issue.. There is some problem with host name and IP mapping. So I suggest u can use host name. That will not have any problem. Avoid IP as much as possible.

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for quick response harini

Yes but my client needs that. Is there any possibility to resolve this.

Thanks and Regards

Suresh

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Exactly, never access portal by an IP, but as you said your client want it to access it using IP?? accessing portal trough IP makes portal to behave in some strange way and answer to this is never use IP. but using host name is very easy to remember because its difficult to remember IP for everyone. Try convincing your client to make use of Host name, you can also make use of fuly qualifies domain, if you have one.

Regards,

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There has been lots of issues reported in portal forum when IP is used to access the server. But till now, as far as I know, there has been no solution. Make be in future, this would be taken care and corrected in coming installation packs.

Regards,

Harini S

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are a lot of problems involved when you are accessing the portal through IP Address. If your client is not willing to use the DNS they can simply maintain an entry in the host file and run it with the FQDN.

When you will login with teh IP Address into portal, you will not be able to see the portal content. and your system is behaving exactly the same.

For e.g Login into portal with IP Address go to the content admin role->Portal Content. You will not be able to see the tree structure of the portal content.

This is having only one solution and that is to use FQDN.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Atul Shrivastava

PS: Award points for helpful answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for responding srivasthav,

Actually iam not much aware with the FQDN, can u guide me how to do that.

Regards

Suresh

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

IN your scenario, do you have FQDN in use?

you can make a host entry in following way

xxx.xxx.xxx <Host name>.<mycomapny.com>:<port>/irj/portal

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your portal server IP Address is say 1.2.3.4 and the port no. is 50000

you are right now accessing portal through http://1.2.3.4:50000/irj

Now what you need to do is

go to run command type drivers. When it opens go to etc folder. then hosts file

there make an entry like