Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Is SAPs Java "platform independence" really platform indepent?

I know, that questions sounds a bit provoking but that's pure intention, I always come across problems, that really make me think of that.

To me it seems, that SAPs development is too (or only?) Windows centric, if one installs a Java support package on Windows via JSPM, you're pretty much done. If you use something =! Windows, you ALWAYS have problems, of various kinds, e. g. textfiles have windows line endings and thus can't be parsed correctly or platforms are "forgotten" in manifest files, (wrong) path separators are hard coded in .SCAs and more such "strange" issues, we even had cases with hard coded Microsoft SQL-Servers JDBC drivers...

The question I need to really ask: Are developers aware of the fact, that not everyone on the world uses Windows on their servers (for whatever reason)? I don't know how much OSS calls I needed to open in the past to "fix" those errors; sometimes they are fixed for some SPs, then they suddenly come back (as an actual case proves).

It's just frustrating getting the feeling, that *nix users are inevitably dealt with as 2nd class people - or is it only me?

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question