Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Corresponding SQL Job. Job is deleted in SQLAgent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Experts.

What does this message mean?

It is in the portal's backup log, using tcode db13 and action "User Database Backup", with type "Full" and "Init Tape". The job is scheduled to run once a week.

Sap is on SQL Server 2005.

Tranks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

every DB13 job is related to a SQL Server Agent job. When you delete the job from the SQL Agent via the SQL Dev. Studio you'll get a message like this when the job tries to run from the DB13.

The solution is to delete the DB13 job and recreate it with the same settings. During the creation the SQL Agent will get recreated as well.

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clas, thanks for the answer. I'll try it.

Do any of you have any suggestion to achive the following cenario?

Daily on-line backup with DB13 writes to disk so another agent can copy the backup files to the tape hours later. The second part (...another agent...) is working fine already.

Thanks for your kind help.

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

you only have to create a backup device of the type 'disk'. This device than will be visible in DB13 for a backup.

in TSQL:

use master

exec sp_addumpdevice 'disk','LogicalName','path and filename to the backup location'

Regards

Clas

former_member193399
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The only issue is DB13 appends to the same file everytime. After the second part (i.e. another agent) copies it then you can either rename the file or delete the file. If you check the option "initialize" when you create the DB13 backup task, this will delete the backup file but you loose the previous backup if your agent fails to copy and you forgot to take appropriate action.

I went through the same cycle then it got complicated once I started creating MSDOS batch file for renaming the backup files. For this batch file to run i must know when the backup complete in db13 which is impossible to determine. I experimented with SAPEVT whether any event is raised. But at the end I realized that DB13 is not tightly coupled with MS SQL Sqlserver like Oracle where you get brtools. In SQL Server it just creates a stored procedure and schedules it in SQL Server. Now I am doing everything in SQL Server Maintenance Plan. Also only way to know if a job failed in DB13 is by logging into SAP. You cannot create any alerts when a backup fails in DB13. This is not integrated with CCMS where you can find a MTE and create an autoreaction (anyone, please correct me if i am wrong). For this again you have to do it in manually in SQL Server using database alerts, setup database mail etc. and then identifying stored procedure created by DB13 is a challenge. Lots of numbers to compare in stored procedure name. When you edit a DB13 task sometime it creates multiple stored procedure and schedules. for example you create a weekly backup task and check only mon, wed, fri. You will see three stored procedures in SQL Server. If your landscape is huge in my case it is around 10 systems and growing then Maintenace Plan is the way to go.

Let me know if you need any help further.

RT

Former Member
0 Kudos

RT, thanks for your help.

About setting the option "initialize" on, won't it go wrong because of the "expiration period" of 27 days?

What if I set the "expiration period" to 1 day? Then the DB13 task would be able to delete the previous backup. My question is if this expiration is just about overwriting or the backup won't be valid for restore after that period.

Does anyone know the answer?

former_member193399
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Think of expiration period is equivalent to the expiration date you see on a medicine you get from pharmacy. i.e. the file stays the same but you cannot restore the file after the expiration period. You will get an error when you try to restore an expired backup. So irrespective of the expiration date DB13 appends the data to the same file.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Need to recreate the device and check the correct options as described by the experts.