cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade Vs new box

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all;

I heard from few companies that when they are in BW3.X and want to get BI 7; instead of doing an upgrade they actually did get a completly new box for BI 7...I just want to understand what would be the benefit of getting the new box instead of doing an upgrade...or visa versa. We are planning to upgrade and just curious on this approach...could some one pls give me the pros and cons.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitik,

Ya the point I want to tell is going for new box avoids all the unwanted junk objects.Where as in upgradation you have to carry them with and you manually have to clense it.

Hope this helps

Regards

Karthik

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We upgraded from 3.1 to 7.0, but on a separate landscape because:

1. We wanted to have a parallel landscape for maintenance during the upgrade project

2. We went from 32bit to 64bit

We decided to upgrade our existing BW, rather than start again, because of the amount of customisation and the volume of data (600Gb).

The upgrade went smooth, apart from a few issues with SQL Server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ian, do you have any documentation? if you could share, it would be appreciated. buddhisajita@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nitik,

I have sent you a presentation that summarised our decision process.

Regards,

Ian.

Former Member
0 Kudos

May I please have a copy as well?

Thank you

tara.sitaram@focussap.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nitik,

This is the case where the existing infrastructure needs to be rebuilt because of any reason. Again, when the existing infra and daat is of minimal importance and the client wants to take full advantage of the new version and thus avoid the bugs in some cases.

Well, upgradation is always good when coming to a stable system. Even after upgradation you will be able to work with 3.x objects till they are migarted to 7.0 objects. Once they are migrated they are no more 3.x.

Once again it depends on many factors whether to upgrade to to go for a new box.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

It just depends on your needs, if you have so many objects developed and it is in 3.x, and want to use those developed objects, then you have to upgrade 3.x box, of course the advantage would be all the objects will be available in 7.0 environment. If you start a new box, then you have to move the objects to the new box which is too much work.

The advantage of the new box is you will have completely clean system which doesn't have unwanted junks which is still sitting in your 3.x system.

thanks.

Wond

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have several custom objects, routines, and in BPS we have several custom functions so I believe if we do get upgrade those all be available in BI 7, but how do we get all those if we get a new box?

thanks for your answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitik,

I think you have to develop them again if you go for new box.Because you are starting the system right from scratch.This is the reason why many companies are going for Upgradation rather than inplementing it in a new box.

Regards

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wonde;

Could you pls clear me on this statments you have made? "then you have to move the objects to the new box which is too much work."

I mean when we get a new box do we create all those custom objects manually or move them from old system to new if so how do we move them?

Thanks.