cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effort Estimation of workflows..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need to do effort estimation for Workflows.My company havent estimated efforts for workflows in past, i have very less experience in doing this.

We need to implement around 18 workflows in first phase.In that there are some standard workflows and some need customizations or implementing from scratch.

1) So if anyone can pls provide me some inputs or some standard guidelines for effort estimation.

2) And what methodology we should adopt?...and if there is any functional spec available as an reference...

Pls mail me at ashwani123@gmail.com

Thanks in advance..

Warm regards, Ashwani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184112
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please tell those 18 workflows has to implement in 1st Phase, then we can guide you how to use and effort estimations and whether you have standard workflows or not in those 18 lists.

Thanks and Regards,

Prabhakar Dharmala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhakar,

Should i mail the excel sheet of the workflows?

If yes, then please provide me your email id..

Thanks in advance.

Ashwani

former_member184112
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just give headings copy past here itself of all 18 workflows, thats enough.

Thanks and Regards,

Prabhakar Dharmala

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wflow Estimation is always a bit high because you spend more time in testing than developing.

1) Standard wflow(Having 2 or 3 Subworkflow) testing:7 Mandays

2) Custom wflow(15 Mandays)

18 workflow you can give average estimation of 150-160 mandays. You have to make sure you have ex´pertise to create standard event from Tcode. Test data should be in place if not estimation increases.

Reward points if useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arghadip,

Thanks for ur quick response.

I need to clarify 2 things here:

1: You have given testing efforts here right? What about development effort?

2: You have written "you must have expertise to create standard event from Tcode" ..what do you mean by this, if you have any help docs or path so that i can understand this?

Thanks in advance..

Ashwani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now if you are going to copy standard wflow and then change it accordingly. Then estimation increases. I follow this matrix

Task with Method to be coded in BO(3 Mandays)

task with standard method no coding required(.5 mandays)

I mean to say you should make sure the triggering event is getting triggered through Standard Tcode. For workflow you have to maintain something in SPRO by Fnal consultant. eg:Release Strategy for PO and PR,Travel and Expense Wflow.

Make sure HR is in place. If not estimation increases.

No document is there. This is decided upon by the Project manager depending on projects ))). Wflow is always high complexity and you can give high estimation not to worry:)))

<b>reward points only if useful</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arghadip,

Thanks alot for this useful information.

I have one quick question you are talking abt Testing efforts, what abt development efforts ? could i use:

Simple Wflow (Standard) : 5 mandays

Average Wflow : 10 mandays

Complex Wflow : 15 mandays

Thanks in advance.

Ashwani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashwani

First of all, please follow the forum guidelines and do not pass your email address via the threads.

The complexity in workflows arises mainly because of the approval process, first of all clarify that before you begin estimating. Check how rejections should be handled. Find out, even at a high level, the changes needed for the standard workflows. In some cases the workflow itself could be complex see if you can classify them better with the additional information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi for your input and Email address thing i will keep this in my mind ).

Regards,

Ashwani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Ashwani

No problem just wanted to clarify before someone else did.

Please share the outcome of your exercise with this forum.

Best Regards

Ravi