cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from SP6 to SP12 problems with JSPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am in the process of upgrading my local portal on my development workstation to SP12 from SP6. I have all the files copied to the EPS/in box. I am running JSPM as the correct user.

The first screen I get is the Setup screen with: "Settping up the applicaiton enviroment" "Wait wihle the applicaiton is setting up its enviroment". This lasts for a minute or so.

Next it asks me to log on to SDM. I do. Another 30 seconds - 45 seconds pass.

Finally I am at the Step 1 Screen: Select a Package Type.

I select Single Support Packages to upgrade my version of JSPM. I have no NWDI control in place. I click Next.

I get Phase Error Report on Phase 2.

"An error has occurred during the execution of the JSPM_PROCESSAn error has occured during the execution of the phase. java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -9

You can find more infomation in the log file

C:\usr\sap\J12\JC01\j2ee\JSPM\log\log_2007_10_11185427\JSPM_PROCESS_1_01.LOG

Here are the relevant lines from that log:

• LOG FILE START *********

• SNIPPED A LOT OF THE LOG OUT ********

[code]#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D100CDEDFD00043C405CCDE308#1192147039413#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.newsdu.NewSDUProvider.listInbox(NewSDUProvider.java:181)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.newsdu.NewSDUProvider.listInbox(NewSDUProvider.java:181)#Java###Starting scanning Inbox for deployable J2EE Engine components...#1#

D125658
sapmnt
trans
EPS
in# #1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D200CDEDFD00043C405CCDE308#1192147039413#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.newsdu.NewSDUProvider.listInbox(NewSDUProvider.java:195)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.newsdu.NewSDUProvider.listInbox(NewSDUProvider.java:195)#Java###You can find additional information in log file $
.#1#C:
usr
sap
J12
JC01
j2ee
JSPM
log
log_20071011185427
SCAN_INBOX_01.LOG#

#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D300CDEDFD00043C405CCDE308#1192147039413#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.newsdu.NewSDUProvider.listInbox(NewSDUProvider.java:205)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.newsdu.NewSDUProvider.listInbox(NewSDUProvider.java:205)#Java###Scanning of Inbox for deployable J2EE Engine components has finished.##

#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D400CDEDFD00043C405CCDE308#1192147039413#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.spstackanalyzer.SPStackAnalyzer.analyzeSPStacksDir(SPStackAnalyzer.java:147)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.spstackanalyzer.SPStackAnalyzer.analyzeSPStacksDir(SPStackAnalyzer.java:147)#Java###Starting searching for stack definition files in the Inbox...##

#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D500CDEDFD00043C405CCE9AA0#1192147039460#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.doExecute(AbstractPhaseType.java:756)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Error#1#com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.doExecute(AbstractPhaseType.java:756)#Java###Exception has occurred during the execution of the phase.##

#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D600CDEDFD00043C405CCE9AA0#1192147039460#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.doExecute(AbstractPhaseType.java:755)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Error#1#com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.doExecute(AbstractPhaseType.java:755)#Java###java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -9##

#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D700CDEDFD00043C405CCE9AA0#1192147039460#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:792)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:792)#Java###Phase has been completed.#1#JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS# #1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D800CDEDFD00043C405CCE9AA0#1192147039460#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:793)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:793)#Java###Start time: .#1#2007/10/11 18:54:30#

#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000D900CDEDFD00043C405CCED920#1192147039476#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:794)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:794)#Java###End time: .#1#2007/10/11 18:57:19# #1.5#C000C0D591220000000000DA00CDEDFD00043C405CCED920#1192147039476#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:795)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:795)#Java###Duration: .#1#0:02:48.604#

#1.5#C000C0D591220000000000DB00CDEDFD00043C405CCED920#1192147039476#/System/Server/Upgrade/Phases/JSPM/JSPMPhases/JSPM_PROCESS##com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:796)#######Thread[main,5,main]##0#0#Info#1#com.sap.sdt.ucp.phases.AbstractPhaseType.cleanup(AbstractPhaseType.java:796)#Java###Phase status is .#1#aborted#[/code]

******LOG FILE END*******

C:
usr
sap
J12
JC01
j2ee
JSPM
log
log_20071011185427
SCAN_INBOX_01.LOG has not been created

The final activity that seems to have occured before the app errors out seems to be: "starting searching for stack definition files in the Inbox"

Any help or insite would be nice.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ted,

Your problem is quite common when using JSPM...

Here is how I get around this:

1st - Update manually the SDM server.

2nd - Update the JSPM using SDM.

3rd - Use the newly JSPM to apply your SP.

Details on step 1:

Copy the SDM jar file to a temporary directory.

then <b>cd</b> to this temp directory and call this command:

<i><b>jar -xvf SDMPackage.JAR</b></i>

It will be unpacked.

Then, depending if you are on UNIX or Windows, the command is stlightly different in it's format.

<b>UNIX:</b>

Navigate to the SDM folder (/usr/sap/SID/JCXX/SDM/program)

./StopServer.sh

./sdm.sh jstartup mode=standalone

Go back to your temporary SDM directory

./update

enter the path of the SDM home when asked by the updater: /usr/sap/SID/JCXX/SDM/program

When the update is successfully finished, go back to the official SDM directory:

cd /usr/sap/SID/JCXX/SDM/program

Launch this command: ./sdm.sh jstartup mode=integrated

And finally this one: ./StartServer.sh

<b>Windows:</b>

Navigate to the SDM folder using a command prompt (X:\usr\sap\SID\JCXX\SDM\program)

StopServer.bat

sdm.bat jstartup "mode=standalone" (<b>Notice the double-quotes in Windows</b>)

Update.bat

enter the path of the SDM home when asked by the updater: X:\usr\sap\SID\JCXX\SDM\program

When the update is successfully finished, go back to the official SDM directory:

cd X:\usr\sap\SID\JCXX\SDM\program

Launch this command: sdm.bat jstartup "mode=integrated"

And finally this one: StartServer.bat

Ok, It should help you get forward.

After the SDM update. Update the JSPM using the SDM RemoteGui Script file.

Just select the JSPM package for deployment.

Then you can use the updated JSPM component to apply your support Pack.

Note: From SP12 or SP13, not sure, there is an option in JSPM that offers you to update JSPM

(Funny, as it should be automatic if detected), and you should use this option in the future.

It will be easier and will also update the SDM if it is found present in /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in.

Please keep me posted on your progress,

Best Regards,

Marc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok

This is helpful. I'm on Windows XP.

I stopped the SDM server.

I extracted the .JAR into a temp directory

I started the update process, and I got an error. Have you seen this before?

C:Documents and SettingstschoptjDesktopNew Folder>update

C:Documents and SettingstschoptjDesktopNew Folder>java -Xmx64M -jar "binSDM.jar" autoupdate "Popdir=."
Please enter the value of
  SDM installation directory
You can press 'ENTER' to accept the default value given in parenthesis.
(c:sdm_home):C:usrsapJ12JC01SDM
no SDM.jar found in C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMbin
this does not seem to be a SDM installation directory, try again
Please enter the value of
  SDM installation directory
You can press 'ENTER' to accept the default value given in parenthesis.
(c:sdm_home):C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram
Installed SDM version: 7.0006.20060303095356.0000
New SDM version: 7.0012.20070328121310.0000
Initializing SDM for update
SDM is integrated in JStartupFramework. No repository changing commands are possible.
Error during update of SDM on C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram
Processing error. Return code: 4

At least now I have a new error to go splunking on, but I thought I'd post this here as other developers in my company are having the same issue and they will be checking in here to see my progress.

Also, yes, I have the XML, and it is properly formed, but I wish it had white space in it.

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, sorry, I edited the message a few times..

You forgot to put the SDM in Standalone mode before the update.

And also shut it down.

Marc.

Message was edited by:

Marc Desrochers

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Windows:

Navigate to the SDM folder using a command prompt (X:\usr\sap\SID\JCXX\SDM\program)

StopServer.bat

sdm.bat jstartup "mode=standalone" (Notice the double-quotes in Windows)

Update.bat

enter the path of the SDM home when asked by the updater: X:\usr\sap\SID\JCXX\SDM\program

cd X:\usr\sap\SID\JCXX\SDM\program

Launch this command: sdm.bat jstartup "mode=integrated"

And finally this one: StartServer.bat

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, the update was performed, but when I try to get sdm to get back into integrated mode I get the following error:

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>sdm jstartup "mode=integrated"

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_java_home=C:/j2sdk1.4.2_12

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_64bit_switch=

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_heap_size=256

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_java_params=

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_memory_switch=-Xmx256M

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_com="C:/j2sdk1.4.2_12binjava"   -Xmx256M  -jar "c:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram\binSDM.j
ar"

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>"C:/j2sdk1.4.2_12binjava"   -Xmx256M  -jar "c:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram\binSDM.jar" jstartup
 "sdmhome=c:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram" "mode=integrated"
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/pb/layout/taglib/ContainerTag addIviewResources
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sap/engine/services/keystore/impl/security/CodeBasedSecurityConnector getApplicationDomain
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sap/engine/services/rmi_p4/P4StubSkeletonGenerator generateStub
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/prt/util/StringUtils escapeToJS
CompilerOracle: exclude iaik/security/md/SHA a
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/prt/core/broker/PortalServiceItem startServices
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sap/engine/services/webservices/server/deploy/WSConfigurationHandler downloadFile
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/prt/jndisupport/util/AbstractHierarchicalContext lookup
Starting SDM - Software Deployment Manager...
Exception in thread "main" com.sap.sdm.util.classloaders.SDMClassLoaderError: Internal error in class loading system.
Additional error message is:
com.sap.sdm.util.classloaders.SDMClassLoaderException: Cannot create class loader for component com.sap.sdm.util.slutil.SL_UTIL.
com.sap.sdm.util.classloaders.SDMClassLoaderException: Cannot create class loader instance: Jar file #1 cannot be read: c:usrsapj
12jc01SDMprogram" mode=integrated       libutilxmlsapxmltoolkit.jar
        at com.sap.sdm.is.classloaders.impl.ClassLoaderManagerImpl.pushContextClassLoader(ClassLoaderManagerImpl.java:129)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.slutil.ComponentElementXMLizerFactory.createComponentXMLizerElement(ComponentElementXMLizerFactory.java:
49)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.ComponentElementDeXMLizer.getComponentFromXMLString(ComponentElementDeXMLizer.java:31)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SdaManifestImpl.<init>(SdaManifestImpl.java:59)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SdaFileImpl.<init>(SdaFileImpl.java:28)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SduReaderImpl.readFile(SduReaderImpl.java:70)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SduReaderImpl.readFile(SduReaderImpl.java:45)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMVersion.getMyDC(SDMVersion.java:49)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMVersion.<init>(SDMVersion.java:33)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMMain.initializeSdmRepository(SDMMain.java:93)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMMain.initializeSDM(SDMMain.java:65)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.SDMInitializer.execute(SDMInitializer.java:44)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.GlobalParamEvaluator.execute(GlobalParamEvaluator.java:60)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.AbstractLibDirSetter.execute(AbstractLibDirSetter.java:46)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.ExitPostProcessor.execute(ExitPostProcessor.java:48)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.CommandNameLogger.execute(CommandNameLogger.java:49)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.AdditionalLogFileSetter.execute(AdditionalLogFileSetter.java:65)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.AbstractLogDirSetter.execute(AbstractLogDirSetter.java:54)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.SyntaxChecker.execute(SyntaxChecker.java:37)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.Command.exec(Command.java:42)
        at SDM.main(SDM.java:21)

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>

Former Member
0 Kudos

My guess is that the line:

com.sap.sdm.util.classloaders.SDMClassLoaderException: Cannot create class loader instance: Jar file #1 cannot be read: c:\usr\sap\j

12\jc01\SDM\program" mode=integrated \lib\util\xml\sapxmltoolkit.jar

is the cause of the problem becuase it's trying to read a file that doesn't exist,

c:\usr\sap\j12\jc01\SDM\program" mode=integrated \lib\util\xml\sapxmltoolkit.jar

and it should be trying to create

c:\usr\sap\j12\jc01\SDM\program\lib\util\xml\sapxmltoolkit.jar "mode=integrated"

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, this command line in the dump is not properly formatted...

Can you try this for me? Instead of plainly calling sdm jstartup ...

Could you call SDM with its extension: sdm<b>.bat</b> jstartup "mode=integrated"

I never had any problems on Windows before doing this...

Marc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the cleaned up version of the command line dump and an execution of sdm.bat:

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>sdm.bat jstartup "mode=integrated"

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_java_home=C:/j2sdk1.4.2_12

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_64bit_switch=

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_heap_size=256

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_java_params=

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_memory_switch=-Xmx256M

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>set sdm_com="C:/j2sdk1.4.2_12binjava"   -Xmx256M  -jar "c:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram\binSDM.jar"

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>"C:/j2sdk1.4.2_12binjava"   -Xmx256M  -jar "c:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram\binSDM.jar" jstartup "sdmhome=c:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram" "mode=integrated"
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/pb/layout/taglib/ContainerTag addIviewResources
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sap/engine/services/keystore/impl/security/CodeBasedSecurityConnector getApplicationDomain
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sap/engine/services/rmi_p4/P4StubSkeletonGenerator generateStub
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/prt/util/StringUtils escapeToJS
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/prt/core/broker/PortalServiceItem startServices
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sap/engine/services/webservices/server/deploy/WSConfigurationHandler downloadFile
CompilerOracle: exclude com/sapportals/portal/prt/jndisupport/util/AbstractHierarchicalContext lookup
Starting SDM - Software Deployment Manager...
Exception in thread "main" com.sap.sdm.util.classloaders.SDMClassLoaderError: Internal error in class loading system.
com.sap.sdm.util.classloaders.SDMClassLoaderException: Cannot create class loader for component com.sap.sdm.util.slutil.SL_UTIL.
com.sap.sdm.util.classloaders.SDMClassLoaderException: Cannot create class loader instance: Jar file #1 cannot be read: c:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram" mode=integrated       libutilxmlsapxmltoolkit.jar
        at com.sap.sdm.is.classloaders.impl.ClassLoaderManagerImpl.pushContextClassLoader(ClassLoaderManagerImpl.java:129)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.slutil.ComponentElementXMLizerFactory.createComponentXMLizerElement(ComponentElementXMLizerFactory.java:49)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.ComponentElementDeXMLizer.getComponentFromXMLString(ComponentElementDeXMLizer.java:31)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SdaManifestImpl.<init>(SdaManifestImpl.java:59)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SdaFileImpl.<init>(SdaFileImpl.java:28)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SduReaderImpl.readFile(SduReaderImpl.java:70)
        at com.sap.sdm.util.sduread.impl.SduReaderImpl.readFile(SduReaderImpl.java:45)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMVersion.getMyDC(SDMVersion.java:49)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMVersion.<init>(SDMVersion.java:33)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMMain.initializeSdmRepository(SDMMain.java:93)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.SDMMain.initializeSDM(SDMMain.java:65)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.SDMInitializer.execute(SDMInitializer.java:44)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.GlobalParamEvaluator.execute(GlobalParamEvaluator.java:60)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.AbstractLibDirSetter.execute(AbstractLibDirSetter.java:46)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.ExitPostProcessor.execute(ExitPostProcessor.java:48)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.CommandNameLogger.execute(CommandNameLogger.java:49)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.AdditionalLogFileSetter.execute(AdditionalLogFileSetter.java:65)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.AbstractLogDirSetter.execute(AbstractLogDirSetter.java:54)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.decorator.SyntaxChecker.execute(SyntaxChecker.java:37)
        at com.sap.sdm.control.command.Command.exec(Command.java:42)
        at SDM.main(SDM.java:21)

C:usrsapJ12JC01SDMprogram>

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, I think figured it out

For the SDM home directory I typed in:

C:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram

I should have typed in:

C:usrsapj12jc01SDMprogram

Lets see if the next step works.

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Let me know if it worked.

Marc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, the JSPM is updated, and now I'm working on SP12.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another problem encountered and resolved.

When I upgraded to a new version of the Java, I forgot to copy over the cryptography policy into the new directory.

Make sure you have the correct jce_policy-1_4_2.zip file in the Java directory.

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, it gets overwritten each time you update Java.

So many things...

Marc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I thought I'd post the following for the humor....

One must have have a reliable source of power so that your computer will not turn off during the upgrade. The computer I was upgrading lost power when the powerstrip thought it saw a power surge. I was in the middle of upgrading the Adobe Forms Server...

I don't know if there is anything else that can go wrong.

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Nice...

One have to really love computers... Or maybe not

Marc.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ted,

What I did were the following:

1. Patch JSPM thru SDM (D:\usr\sap\<SID\DVEBMGS01\SDM\program\RemoteGui.bat)

2. Deploy the latest JSPM Patch. In our case patch 13 (D:\usr\sap\trans\EPS\in\JSPM13_0-10003470.SCA).

3. Re-Start SDM Server

4. Re-Start JSPM.

Regards.

Darwin

i803734
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Ted,

One more thing... Actually I should have started with this one...

Did you download the SPSTab.xml from the SAP Marketplace when you selected you Service Pack level?

The button I am talking about on marketplace is named "Save As File" on the screen where you see all the selected files for a SP.

Click it and you will see that you can download an XML or a CSV.

Right click the XML one.

Do not change it's name. It needs to be called SPSTab.xml.

You need this file in EPS/in for JSPM to know what is part of the SP and all the dependencies between the packages you have selected.

Cheers,

Marc.