Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Unit of Measure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

I have a typical problem

My Client is selling material in Kgs and also manages the stock in Kgs.But Now he wants to sell the material in Rolls. The weight of the rolls is variable based on the quantity produced. For eg. if I book an order for 20 rolls with the relation in material master as 1 roll = 25 kgs then not necessarily all the rolls with be of 25 kg. some of them might be on higher side or lower side varying from 17 kgs to 32 kgs.

These rolls are treated as batches.

Now the problem is when I try to deliver the batches (rolls). If I have 17 kgs of roll to the delivered then the system tries to find the relation for the batch from the master as 17kg / 25 kg = 0.68 Roll.

Since the order has been booked in Rolls (inspite of the weight of rolls) all the quantities should be showing as 1 Roll & not 0.68 or 1.2 Roll etc. and the invoice should be for 1 roll.

For the sake of MRP I have to pass on the UOM as Kgs only.

PS : I have tried Alternate Unit of Measurement in Material Master. But not of much use, since the batches generated are coming in decimals (if the qty is greater or lower than the defined qty)

Correct Answers shall be suitably rewarded.

Thanks

Sunil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member184708
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I have a similar problem:

My customer records everything in weight / kg as in 1Kg and priced accordingly.

His customers order in Cartons which can be variable Kg size so Carton 40 could be 23.3Kg and Carton 36 could be 26.5Kg

He wishes to use Sales Order to record 2 cartons but using Batch Control I can only record weight AFTER I key the qty into the system

So 2 Cartons = 49.8Kg but how do I know this in advance? He wishes also to select the specific batches prior to printing the SO Pick Slip so warehouse person knows what to pick......

any ideas???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try the batch specific UOM functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Refer catch weight management in help.sap.com which explain about having 2 UOM

Regatds

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

I am facing the same problem.. What solution you provided?

Fyi, I can't use catch weight management, client is not interested in any new add ons.

Regards,

R.S

pratik_mahendra
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi sunil,

I will go by wiht the earlier reponse and i also want to add if u have issue with rolls flowinn in decimals this you control it at material master ' rounding rule'. this function will not allow material to flow in decimal it will rather round it in sales order.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear sunil

When u r selling in rolls it should have weighbridge check and ur billing is based on net weight from weighbridge ,bring the value from weighbridge to LIPSD/PIKMG,give pricing at delivery level also in copy control give pricing from delivery,try this may work

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subramanya

The weight is getting captured by weight measuring device. But as I said earlier after capturing the weight it will try to convert into proportional rolls.

The roll is a whole unit of measure and is not to be in decimal. If I try to put in a rounding rule, it shall round all the units of measure (even the ones which I book in Kgs) which is not my purpose.

Eg : I book an order to sell a 1 Cylindrical object (pipe) which is of @ 12 m @ 12$

The 12 m pipe should theoretically weigh 12 kgs.

I have got a pipe in stock which is of 11.78m and weighs 11.78 kgs. I cannot allow the system to convert the 11. 78m pipe into 11.78 kgs if so then the rate would be 11.78$. which is wrong because I can bill only for 12$ and not 11.78$ (since my order is for 1 pipe)

Hope the above clarifies.

Thanks

Regards

Sunil